It cannot get any better, cant it?


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Cebu » Malapascua
June 23rd 2012
Published: September 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Malapascua & Bantayan Islands

So here we are, almost 9 months into our trip, happier than ever and celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary… in amazingly beautiful Philippines. Yes, we did plan this anniversary to be spent in the Visayas and we worked and planned very hard (by hard I mean, skipping some places, rushing through some other amazing places etc) so that we could be there in this particular time of the year. Our honey moon was not a romantic gate away somewhere hot and tropical but historically rich and romance infused trip to Paris so we wanted the BIG 5 to be in one of those places.

We planned our stay in Philippines to be slow and mellow without rushing and island hopping every 2-3 days. We decided to visit a maximum of 4 places within the visa allowance of 21 days. Of course it had to be what we liked the most i.e. tiny, almost deserted islands and not touristy places. However we really wanted to see Boracay and Palawan that get their fair share of tourism. After tiring but nice night at the Singapore airport followed by a 5h flight to Manila (got it for free
interesting viewinteresting viewinteresting view

could have been in Spain, I suppose
thanks to Qantas FF Membership), then another short (1h) flight to Cebu, 5h bus ride and 30 min boat ride we finally landed in Malapascua Island. It was all what we wanted at the first sight. The beach was small (takes max 10 min to walk along it), white sand and with palm trees scattering the beach and only handful of resorts/guesthouses to be seen. It was already after sunset so we were sure that the place would look even dreamier when we wake up. We met a nice English couple at the bus and we both decided to stay in Mr. Chang guesthouse just 2 min away from the beach (free Wi-Fi and low price of 500 Pesos/11$ really appealed to us). We had lovely dinner at islands only budget restaurant followed by fabulous and what must be the cheapest beer in the world (Red Horse around 1.5$ per litre). All was fabulous.

But only when the next day we saw the multilevel blue color of the ocean we were truly content. We loved the low profile of Malapascua, the fact that you can walk everywhere, splash in the amazingly blue-green water and then just lay down at
so beautiful so beautiful so beautiful

no picture can show its true beauty
the white sand beach. We mastered the ‘hammock and a drink technique’ to perfection during our 5 day stay over there. We were amazed by how genuine local people were and the fact they never even tried to scam us or inflate prices (even in local shop we could buy beer, chocolate and fruit at local and very low prices). Just over the fence from our guesthouse there was a local food stall where we got to eat all the time as we could pre-order in the morning and at certain time in the evening freshly cooked food was waiting for us. We had the most amazing squid ever (BBQ-ued and in souse) for just under 2$ - what is there not to like?

There is not much to do over there and I guess that is the point of choosing this place. Malapascua is famous for scuba-diving but snorkel was actually not that great. We took a one day trip (900P/18$ for two of us) and the boatmen was really nice but we thought that coral and fish was not that amazing. Maybe we were spoiled by Perhentians’ marine life at this point already. We were also really angry when the local coast-guard charged us for the marine park entrance and then we saw people dynamite-fishing. Unfortunately Phillipinos don’t care that much for wildlife and the whole thing with tickets is just for government to take money. Even our boatmen said that he thought it was a scam as no money was actually being invested in the well being of marine life. So sad.

Our English friends decided to head to Bantayan Island just after two days and they were lucky enough to get a shared boat for just 300P each (2000P per boat). We did not plan to go there initially but then we thought of it as a good idea. We had to get there the hard way though. A boat ride, bus ride, rickshaw ride and big ferry ride later (350P each total cost and around 4h, so not bad) we set out feet in Bantayan port. Well, at first sight we did not like it as it did not have this small profile but later on, we learnt that only southern part of the island had beach therefore there was no need to go elsewhere. We walked for 10 min and only saw big, luxurious hotels but finally found LP recommended resort that offered us a beach bungalow for just 500P/10$ (low season price). We just loved this place – nice, white sand, not crowded and bungalow basically at the beach. We had to look hard to find some budget eateries but as always if you look, you find ;-)

Every morning we treated ourselves to a bakery visit for 0.1$, fresh from the oven, bans and cakes and in the evening we visited our favorite stall near the pier that served massive BBQ chicken legs with rice for less than a dollar. Of course liters of Red Dragon were consumed every day to balance the heat – a kind of life we could easily get used to;-) Every evening we sat at the beach chairs, watching stars, drinking beer and talking about how lucky we are to be able to do all this. I guess it is needed to come to realization like that so that everything we do and every place we visit wasn’t taken for granted.

The only exception was our actual anniversary day (23rd of June) when we decided not to follow any budget, drink and eat whatever we desired to. We started the day with fab breakfast and real coffee from an actual coffee machine (it is so hard to find one in Asia) at one of the luxurious resorts and then spent time at the beach with cocktails in our hands having a blast. For lunch we walked to the town and got some delicious food again. Then more drinks...and another fabulous meal with live music at our hotel. It seemed that the day evolved around food and drinks but I won’t be mentioning any bedroom details will I? ;-) It was the best 5th wedding anniversary we could dream of in terms of scenery, food and drink (appreciated more, due to a long term travel in Asia) and really nice quality one-to-one time in nearly deserted beach paradise. We live for moments like that and that was another place and time that makes us confident to say that we have seen our dream come true ….


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

favorite beerfavorite beer
favorite beer

for 1.5$ per liter, you just love it;-)
Malapascua IslandMalapascua Island
Malapascua Island

so tiny and so beautiful


22nd September 2012

Happy 5th!
Visiting four gorgeous places in 21 days--I like your style! That photo of you two under the umbrellas is a classic, and the photos were great. May you have many more years of blissful travel together!
22nd September 2012

;-)
thank you very much Tara, very appreciated! B&T
22nd September 2012

Another great one !
As usual stunning pictures, well done !
7th November 2012

thank you Laetitia
really appreciate your comment and thanks for checking our blog B&T
23rd September 2012
cheers for the 5 years

CONGRATULATIONS
Congratulations on your 5th Anniversary...bit hard to beat being in Paradise...isn't lurve grand!
23rd September 2012
cheers for the 5 years

;-)
Thank yo very much Dave - it was truly beautiful time;-) B
23rd September 2012

Internet?!
Malapascua seems to have developed a lot since we were last there a couple of years ago - the only internet back then was a man with a dodgy satellite dish. We say dodgy because it was hit and miss whether the internet connected! How did you find the food there, on our last trip we found it quite expensive and not very good for what it was. Happy belated anniversary.
23rd September 2012

Hi
Hi Donna and Neil, yeah internet is surprisingly available over there but that could be an influence of big diving resorts. Food was great as we ate local (as always) and paid close to nothing for fab sea-food and fish dishes. Diving resorts offered western cuisine for western prices but we did not even dare to try hahha We only used their happy hour drink offers and hammocks on the beach;-) thanks for reading;-) Beata&Tomek
23rd September 2012

Travel info
Hi ! Could you please share some travel info with us? We are planning the same trip, and your inputs could help.. Which hotels on both isalnds? How was the food? Apart from the beach - what else to do? How did you manage local travel (walked around?)... Any particular travel agent that you used there ? thanks in advance...
23rd September 2012

hello
we never use any agents to help us with travels so I cannot comment on that but Cebu and Malapascua are very easy to navigate on your own and having a guidebook is enough really. I don't remember the names of our hotels sorry but because both of the islands are small it is always a walking distance to some nice hotels and resorts - you can probably book online as well. In terms of things to do we could not find much but that was exactly what we wanted - you can dive and snorkel but that is really it. There are frequent boat services between islands so it is very easy to travel around. Hope that helps;-) Beata
23rd September 2012

Happy Anniversary!
I really enjoyed reading this entry and the photos are gorgeous! Congratulations guys!
23rd September 2012

;-)
Thank you Anastasia, as always very appreciated!!! We had a blast and have great memories of this place! B&T
24th September 2012

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this blog
We are heading to the Philippines in a couple of months and as yet have not made any plans. We've been moving around a bit and want to go at a slow pace. This blog is so helpful. We may be writing you soon for additional details. We will have 24 days and can't decide if we want to do 3 places or 4. And....your photos, wow.
24th September 2012

Congrats!
Congrats you two!! We've been waiting anxiously for your Philippine blogs :) Love your pics...it's on our list for the next time around! Take care! xoxo Nate and Jessie
24th September 2012

Happy 5th anniversarry!
I admire how you describe this place but the only thing that is really not good is the time when you were asked by the coast guards for some money.. You should also try to visit the province of Bohol..from Cebu City, you can ride a ferry going to this Island or province and there are a lot of tourist spots and beaches you can try..beaches varies their rates depends on your taste..regarding the tourist spots, you can visit all the tourist spots of Bohol for one day..
24th September 2012

love the photos!
wow! just love the sunset in Malapascua picture! [photo=7174346] beautiful place! and congrats on your anniversary! Will be hard to beat for next one I'd say! ;) pozdrawiam serdecznie!
24th September 2012

Witamy;-)
thanks for comments and reading;-) witamy na travel blogu - super miejsce dla kazdego podroznika;-) to gdzie sie wybierasz za kilka miesiecy? twoja mapka nie pokazuje przyszlych planow pozdrawiamy, Beata&Tomek
26th September 2012

Wo
I'm from the Philippines but have not been to Bantayan myself. After reading this, I am now lusting for the beach scene. Good thing no storms while you were here. Safe travels, guys. I'm raising my San Miguel beer to many more anniversaries!
26th September 2012

hi
Thank you very much Liliram;-) We were very lucky with the weather overall as for June...people kept telling us that typhoons were passing by but luckily we did not experience any so all was great;-) B&T
26th September 2012

:)
Dzieki :) jak na razie plan jest wyruszyc z Nepalu do Chin i pozniej w dol przez pd-wsch Azje do Indonezji... co z tego wyjdzie, zobaczymy! ;) poki co sledze losy innych podroznikow i w ten sposob trafilam na waszego bloga :) super zdjecia, duzo informacji i przede wszystkim widac, ze niezle sie bawicie! oby tak dalej! czekam na kolejnego! pozdrawiam :)
27th September 2012

Nice photos
Great colours but I particularly liked the second with the lady, the child and the umbrella. We were in Bantayan about 20 years back. Seems nothing much has changed
28th September 2012

Thank you;-)
Really appreciate your comment! Thanks for reading;-) T
8th March 2013

As you can see from our previous comment you are the reason we went to Malapascua
We loved our 5 days on the island and could have stayed longer.

Tot: 0.411s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 52; qc: 185; dbt: 0.1995s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.7mb