Phi Phi drains money


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Cebu » Cebu City
December 18th 2006
Published: December 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Jazzy JeffJazzy JeffJazzy Jeff

Whilst in KL wehad a big night out watching Jazzy Jeff. Was an absolutely awesome set in a very cool club. We all stayed very sober

Philippines (part two)


After a few nights in Dumaguette, we jumped on a boat then bus up to Moalboal and checked into Pacitas, home of the legendary Saturday night disco. Marie was delighted to see that we had arrived on the night that the disco was holding the ‘Pacitas Bikini Open 2006.’ This started quite tame with girls walking around onstage in bikinis - then, came the ‘individual show-down round.’ Contestant number 1 came out with a 1 litre bottle of Red Horse and proceeded to pour this over herself whilst dancing around on top of tables. Andy and Fraser thought this was a waste of a particularly good beer. Marie loved it though.

After Moalboal, we headed to Cebu City for a night out. Fraser got food poisoining from a dodgy buffet that cost about 65p: Marie and Andy enjoyed a romantic Vietnamese meal together (Andy - this was possibly the tastiest meal we have had). The next day, we made a quick stop at Bo’s coffee in honour of Simon, before heading on the plane back to Manila for our last night in the Philippines. In Manila, we headed down to the open-air bars on the seafront: each
Ko Phi PhiKo Phi PhiKo Phi Phi

This was one of the many beautiful beaches on Ko Phi Phi and also the town which was the scene of many a mildly intoxicated night.
bar had its own live band blaring out different genres of music. Still struggling to understand why you need 7-8 people in each band (a further example of how everything in the Philippines appears to be overstaffed). The next day, we flew back to Kuala Lumpar.

Malaysia (KL, Taman Negara, Jerantut, Cameron Highlands)


After a few days in KL incorporating watching Casino Royale, we headed by bus up to Taman Negara (Malaysia’s National Park). After a very scenic 2 hour boat transfer through the jungle from Kuala Templing, we arrived in Kuala Tahan. The ‘town’ was very quiet and we had an early evening in anticipation of an early start to go trekking the next day.

After a 1.5km trek, we arrived at the Canopy walkway - very high rope bridges through the jungle (see picture). After this, we hiked up the mountains to the viewing points: on the way, we were greeted by blood-sucking leeches that start off microscopic (most unwelcome welcoming guests). Still, could have been worse: we met a girl who had had leeches under her armpits (think she must have been stupid enough to go swimming in the jungle).

We got the boat
Ko Phi Phi beachKo Phi Phi beachKo Phi Phi beach

Another Ko Phi Phi beach. You can probably see why we extended our stay here 3 days.
back to Kuala Templing hoping to head to the Cameron Highlands the same day. Unfortunately, we had to spend a night in Jerantut. We played a game of ‘Predict-a-trick’ (the Carrington household card game) to 500 points. It was 485 points each between Andy and Fraser going into the final round, where Fraser stole the game. Andy had brought shame on the Carrington name losing at the game he had introduced to the group (Andy I'm sorry mum).

After a 5 hour taxi drive, we arrived in the Cameron Highlands and checked into Twin Pines guesthouse. Our taxi driver was a nutter, telling us that dog is the nicest meat you can eat and suggesting both of us were Marie’s boyfriends and she just picks which day she wants each of us on. We went trekking through the mountains two days in a row with a German guide who lives over there. Some of the treks were pretty tough but on the second day we saw monkeys jumping through the trees. One of them fell from a very tall tree (maybe 50 foot). Fraser and the guide ran down the hill to try and find it but no sign
ko Phi Phi snorkel trip.ko Phi Phi snorkel trip.ko Phi Phi snorkel trip.

This was a pretty funny day out doing some snorkelling around some different islands. Some of the people in this boat changed completely for the evening out. (You know who you are.)
of it: we left when we heard the other monleys heading that way as not sure whether they would be angry. We also visited the Boh tea plantation and sampled a variety of speciality tees such as Passionfruit tree.

Back in KL, we were lucky enough to find out that DJ Jazzy Jeff was playing at one of the clubs over there. We headed on down to Zou and saw a masterclass of mixing from the man himself, along with some lyrical assistance from Mad Skillz. Jimmy - please note Andy has now seen Jazzy Jeff twice. We headed back to KLIA for a midday flight to Phuket where we were due to meet up with Rich (Andy’s friend from university).

Thailand (Phuket, Koh Phi Phi, Krabi)


Met up with Rich at the Phuket backpacker and got chatting to a number of people in the hostel: Rich suggested we all head out for dinner together and about 12 of us did. After dinner, we went to a local ‘club’ (Jammin’). After realising a bottle of whiskey and some coke was cheaper than a round of beers, we bought two bottles of Sam Song whiskey. That evening, we managed
Moaboal dive resortMoaboal dive resortMoaboal dive resort

This was one of the bar along the strip in Moalboal. We did intend to scuba dive one day but we never made it.
to get slightly lost on the walk home which seemed to take for ever.

The next day was scorching and we were all a little dehydrated from the night before. We jumped in a taxi and headed down to the port for the boat to Koh Phi Phi. Everyone was trying to sell us tickets for 1,000 Bahts - after much waiting around, we managed to get tickets for less than half that. We were greeted at the port by Ben the boatman from Toh Ko Bay Bungalows where we were staying (Initially planned for five nights, which ended up being 8 nights).

Rich and Andy headed off to Long Beach at 7.30am the next morning (little did Marie and Fraser know it would be 24 hours before they would see them again). The next 24 hours should be split into two episodes:

Fraser & Marie - headed up to the viewpoints of the Phi Phi islands (see photos) and did some snorkelling on our beach, which was unbelievable, with a variety of fish and corals. Marie had an early night whilst Fraser watched the Arsenal vs Chelsea game in the hotel bar with the owner’s husband.
Bikini Open 2006Bikini Open 2006Bikini Open 2006

This night is explained in the Blog. Sanj/Jon Boy you would have loved it. Howlster I'm sure you would say it wasn't your cup of tea.
Should have been 1-0 to Arsenal as they was a foul from dirty Ashley Cole before the Chelsea equaliser.

Rich and Andy - Left to do some snorkelling on long beach at 7.30am. Long beach is about 25 mins from our resort by boat, or an hour walk (either through Jungle or over rock). We took the rock option. Long beach is near the centre of the nighlife so having spent a nice relaxed day snorkelling we decided to head out for some food and a couple of socialable beverages before going home.

Met up with some friends from Phuket (the two girls on the left n the picture above (right as you look at it) and their mate Steve. It beacame abundently clear that it was unlikley to be just a couple of sociable beverages when a bottle of whisky was purchased with dinner. 7pm turned to 5am which is when most of the bars started to close. We had become seperated but Rich had the presence of mind to walk home over the rocks without a key (arriving for a sleep on our hammock at 7am) with multiple injuries (including a badly cut foot and bruised
Philippines JeepneyPhilippines JeepneyPhilippines Jeepney

We are getting a lot of random types of transport. These are the buses in the Philipinnes some of them are very cool.
thigh). I (Andy) took the sun lounger option for a couple of hours R&R before getting a boat back to meet Rich at 7.30 am to let him in. Sun lounger option had the negative side effect of multiple mosquiito bites.

The next day:


Fraser and Marie headed off on a snorkelling trip to Phi Phi Ley (the island where the Beach was filmed). The boat left at 8am and Rich and Andy decided to hold off on the trip until the next day, having been back for less than an hour. The beaches and snorkelling over on Phi Phi Ley was amazing (see photo). Andy in Rich did a bit of snorkelling and relaxing at the local bay.

The following day, Fraser and Marie headed off to Long Beach for some sunbathing (Marie) and snorkelling (Fraser) before meeting the others (who had been on the trip that Fraser and Marie had been on the day before) at 2pm for some lunch. We visited one of the dive shops and decided we would go on a dive trip in two days time (except Rich who would do a diving introduction the next day). We decided this would be
Boat to Tamen NegaraBoat to Tamen NegaraBoat to Tamen Negara

There was a three hour boat ride to get to Tamen Negara. It was lovely boat ride though it did piss it down for part of it. Added to the experience though.
a good time for a night out and the buckets were flowing.

Rich went for his first day of diving the next day, whilst the 3 of us rested at the resort. The next day, we headed off for our dive trip. Fraser had to finish his dive after about 15-20 minutes as he was struggling to equalise: coughed up a bit of blood afterwards and concluded he must have had a slight cold. During the dives, a number of creatures were seen including turtles, leopard sharks and puffer fish. We decided we would stay 3 extra nights as it was nice and so that Rich could finish off his PADI certificate. That evening, we headed down to Reggae bar to meet up with Nigel (Rich’s diving buddy) and some people he had met from his hotel (3 Aussie girls and 3 Swedish guys). At Reggae bar, there was a Thai boxing ring where customers were offered two buckets to get in the ring and fight: one of the Swedish guys went against a guy a foot taller than him but he won the fight. Andy stayed out for the night, crashing at Nigel’s hotel.

The next day,
Tamen NegaraTamen NegaraTamen Negara

Tamen Negara restaurants. These places were quite funky right on the rive though unfortunately they close quite early and do not sell beers. Left a lot of time to get bitten by mosquitos.
Rich went for his last day of diving: Nigel had not woke up for the course. We headed into town to celebrate with Rich that he had completed his course. The sea was very rough that night and it seemed like the boat Fraser and Marie got home at 12.30am would crash. Rich and Andy got a boat back at 4am, which they had to dive off near the hotel. We found out the next morning that their boat had sunk after they went to bed and the driver had slept in a tent on our beach after waking up the hotel owner just after 4am. We inspected the boat the next day and saw their were a number of large holes in the bottom where it had hit some rocks.

Last night in Phi Phi



During the day Me (Andy) Rich & Fraser did a snorkel trip and got friendly with some people from our accomodation. Met up again in the evening (well 5pm) for some drinks in the bar till about 8.30pm before getting a longtail boat to town. By then tghe group size had escalated to 13 including a range of nationalities which increased further
Tamen Negara- Canopy walk.Tamen Negara- Canopy walk.Tamen Negara- Canopy walk.

This was one of the highlights of Tamen Negara. Explains why Marie is looking so happy.
when we made it to town (Israeli, British, Aussie, New Zealand, Canadian etc). The whole night was hilariously funny complete with buckets, thai boxing, extended conversations about Monkees and a realisation as to why one lad hadn't drunk for 3 weeks. There was a lot of very fun people out that we had met over the last few days and it was a shame to have to say goodbye. Ko Phi Phi has hit my wallet hard though. By the time 3am came around and a few people wanted to head home it would became clear that it would be impossible to get a boat home (due to the bumpy seas) and therefore the best option was to stay out until the morning (7am and get a boat home). The incredibly friendly Pon who run the hotel said she had never seen 12 people arrive home by long boat (1 person didn't make it) but she was happy to cook us breakfast (some had a liquid breakfast). Fraser/Andy/Marie then made a heroic effort to make the 9am Krabi ferry with Rich meeting us in the afternoon.

We are now in Krabi having done a trip today (see explanation in
Cameron Highlands.Cameron Highlands.Cameron Highlands.

We did a couple of trecks in the Cameron Highland with a very good German guide. Some of the scenery was amazing.
picture) and head to Khao Sok National park tomorrow on our way to Ko Samui to meet up with a bunch of friends.

Other random stuff:

Leaches love to suck blood
Mosquitos still like to bite
Buckets can have various effects
Cameras plus water = nightmare
Dumaguette is full of sex tourists
Bikini Opens are fun
Red Horse is still dangerous
Irish boys like Marie
Swarbrick is getting lucky at fantasy football
It's possible to celebrate Sanj/Jim passing exams in a different country
It isn't wrong to have poached eggs for breakfast 7 days in a row
It is a little wrong for an individual to consume 10 buckets in 3 days.
Mosquito's bite people who sleep in sunbeds
Rocks hurt feet when drunk
Some taxi boat drivers lose money on trips home due to boats hitting rocks.


Total Phi Phi casualties:

2 cameras
1 wallets
1 big toe
1 hip
Several bruises on Maries legs
Andy's 2nd baseball cap
Andy's flip flops
About 75,000 baht
Rich's dignity
4 sets of un-sunburnt shoulders
1 taxi boat





Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Cameron Highlands - Tea plantationCameron Highlands - Tea plantation
Cameron Highlands - Tea plantation

This was during our visit to Boh's tea planatation. We think Mr Bowyer owns this place.
Cameron Highlands - Tea plantation 2Cameron Highlands - Tea plantation 2
Cameron Highlands - Tea plantation 2

Whoever thought growing tea could provide such good scenery!
Phuket night outPhuket night out
Phuket night out

Had a very fun night out in Phuket town with various assorted nationalities. Ended up in Jammin bar with a live singer who had the microphone stolen from her on numerous occassions.
Maya bay from the film the beachMaya bay from the film the beach
Maya bay from the film the beach

Fraser and Marie did a romantic snorkel trip to Maya bay and it was such fun that Andy and Rich were convinced to go the next day. Either that or they were too hungover to make it as planned on the first day having had transport problems getting home the night before.
Some under water photography.Some under water photography.
Some under water photography.

Phi Phi involved a lot of snorkelling as well as a couple of scuba dives. It was through the diving that we met a few more people to add to our group for nights out including some Aussies and a guy called Nigel who has extended his holiday to join us for New Year.
Buckets .. mmmmmmBuckets .. mmmmmm
Buckets .. mmmmmm

Take a can of coke, a small bottle of redbull and 30cl of Whisky. Pour in a bucket with some ice. The effects are interesting particularly after 2-3!
James Bond IslandJames Bond Island
James Bond Island

Just come back from a trip today which included James Bond Island, a muslim fishing village (Ko Panyee) and some other stuff like waterfalls and caves with monkeys in. It was a fun though tiringh day.


18th December 2006

You crazy catz!
Sounds stunning guys, highlights from the read include "Irish guys like Marie", "Bikini opens" and not forgetting "Red Horse beer"....? Enjoy Ko Samui and Merry Christmas! Look forward to another update
18th December 2006

season s greetings
sounds like such fun! merry christmas to you all!
20th December 2006

Shoe
Glad to see the three of you having such a good time. There is a serious lack of shoe drinking tho. Sort it out
24th December 2006

Hello
Hi Andy Milly is staying with us for Christmas.....I have just shown her your Blog and she loved it....she is so pleased that you are enjoying yourself....and....that you have found a nice girl! We loved the pictures and are still laughing at some of your adventures and comments. From now on we will be eating and drinking too much and expect to get square eyes from watching the box. I hope mum, Jo and dad are enjoying Cyprus...they certainly deserve a nice time.....they work very hard. We are so pleased that you are seeing the world....keep the Blog up.... Milly sends love and so do we (Pat and Ed) xxxxxxxxxxxxx
2nd January 2007

2007
Andy - Happy New Year to you all in the sun from a wet and windy London. It all sounds amazing! Ax

Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 65; dbt: 0.1182s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb