Davao...Bohol...Dumaguete!


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Cebu » Bantayan
June 9th 2008
Published: June 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bantay Bata KidsBantay Bata KidsBantay Bata Kids

Kids having dinner
Hi everyone!

Sorry I haven't written in a while; it's been hectic! After the Mindanao Peacebuilding Institute, we spent a few more days in Davao. We went to the beach, and were able to visit with an environmental NGO, Interface Development Interventions Inc. (IDIS), and Bantay Bata 163. The environmental NGO is mainly concerned with the spraying of pesticides on the local fruits and produce, and the side affects it has on the people. Big companies, such as Dole and Del Monte, have been spraying there since the 70s and it wasn't until 2000 that NGOs were informing the locals about the side affects. I'm not quite sure why they weren't informed before; however, many of the locals believe that these companies are spraying (out of their "spraying" zones - fact) because they want to force the people off of their properties so the companies can use it to expand their pineapple and banana plantations. Interesting.
Later that day we met with an organization, Bantay Bata 163, who rescue and give shelter to kids who have been physically and sexually abused. The ages range anywhere from a couple years old to 12 - any kids who come in for shelter
Bantay Bata KidsBantay Bata KidsBantay Bata Kids

Little girl..
and are older than 12, are referred to another organization. Anyways, although many of them were young girls, I was shocked to also see several boys who were also sexually abused/raped. I am hoping to sponser several of the kids when I get back to the States.

After Davao, we sailed (river cruise!!) to Bohol. We stayed on Panglao Island and we visited the Chocolate Hills and saw Tarsier Monkeys, the smallest monkey on the planet. I was also able to go scuba diving for a couple days…that was absolutely gorgeous!! I saw sea turtles, schools of Check-fish forming a “tornado-like” funnel, and a billion different fish. Unfortunately I didn’t get to see any Whale Sharks, which are usually sited around that area. One thing is for sure though: I got to work on my tan!

Now I'm in Dumaguete City - I've been here since Friday. We have been hiking, swimming near waterfalls (in the pools), dolphine watching and simply relaxing. This afternoon we all split up and do out "community-learning service". For the next four days, I will be in Bantayan and will be staying with a host family. We have been told that some of the living situations are only somewhat better than the ones at Smokey Mountain - this should be interesting!!! I will be staying near the beach and will be taking loads of pictures to post afterwards.

So expect another post on Friday (=

Take care!!







Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Chocolate Hills Chocolate Hills
Chocolate Hills

Rice fields!
WaterfallsWaterfalls
Waterfalls

Went swimming here (=


9th June 2008

eeej!
Eeej Nikkiedikkie! Wat klinkt dat gaaf en indrukwekkend allemaal. Ben benieuwd waar je gaat wonen de komende dagen!! Nog veel plezier daaro en tot gauw! dikke kus, je nicht
25th June 2008

Hi Nikki, ik heb je gevonden, nu ga ik je verhalen lezen en je foto`s bekijken en dan hoor je gauw wat van mij. Maar via de mail heb ik begrepen dat je het erg naar je zin hebt, geniet ervan meisje. X
25th June 2009

darwinism..
ha .. so unlike most of us, you find your origins in the Tarsier monkey :)

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb