Road Trip: From Donsol Through Legazpi To Naga in Bicol


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Camarines Sur » Pili
May 27th 2011
Published: June 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Mount Mayon Is Everywhere!Mount Mayon Is Everywhere!Mount Mayon Is Everywhere!

This time around, the grand old dame was in the mood to show off. Everywhere! We saw her the entire time we were in Albay. Not even a typhoon could stop or hide her.
It would have been easy to board an overnight bus from Manila to Legazpi City, sleep off the entire 10 hour ride, then hop on a jeepney or a van for another hour's ride from Legazpi City to Donsol, Sorsogon for that date with the "butandings" or whale sharks. But we are a family of 7. An SUV fits us like a glove. Provided no one "overpacks". Also, the plan was for 2 in our family flying home from Legazpi City after a few days into the week. So that lightens up the load and we would have more than enough space in the car on the way back.

Summer's Not Over Yet



Determined to make this an awesome summer holiday especially for the kids, we set off on this journey late in May. School here does not start till June. So you can say this one beats the deadline before summer here is officially over. Just a week-long holiday hopping from place to place around the Bicol Region. I was here last February, and I fell in love with the place, its food, the people, and the whale sharks!


We only arranged for our Donsol lodgings.
Ziplining at Embarcadero de LegazpiZiplining at Embarcadero de LegazpiZiplining at Embarcadero de Legazpi

Both kids were supposed to zipline with an adult each. At the last minute, the older one begged to go solo. Fine. Brave. Then the younger one had 2nd thoughts, but finally decided to go.
And the children were not exactly excited that we don't know where we'd stop next for the night. To perk them up, we gave them their first adrenaline high with the zipline in Embarcadero de Legazpi in Legazpi City. The cable lines cross the waters, with no less than Mount Mayon in the background, all the way to that mound of earth at the end of the zipline. Blood pumping, the family made it in time for a big lunch at Bigg's Diner, an old-time American-inspired food chain in Bicol Region. A nice break from all the Bicolano food we have been eating --- all coconut cream-based and spiced up with the local chilies.

The "Lady" Is Back, and Showing Off!




While I was not as lucky to have a good view of Mt. Mayon during my last visit earlier in the year, my family was blessed with the grand old dame's majestic appearance practically from every angle, every corner, everywhere around Albay! We saw the "Lady" from Cagsawa Ruins, from Lignon Hills, from Embarcadero de Legazpi, Padang Memorial, from Mayon Skyline, from the window of our room in Legazpi City every hour of the day! The
Cagsawa RuinsCagsawa RuinsCagsawa Ruins

The remains of a 17th century church buried in volcanic lava, trapping everyone inside, when Mount Mayon erupted in 1814.
day we set off from Legazpi City, Albay bound for Camarines Sur, Typhoon Signal No. 2 was declared over the entire Bicol Region. But no cloud, no typhoon would dare stop this grand old Lady from making her dramatic appearance any hour she chooses. We were almost sorry to bid it goodbye as we drove towards Naga City in Camarines Sur.


Typhoon Signal #2 at Camsur Water Complex




As it turned out, the typhoon was a blessing in disguise for my family. I have been trying to book a family trailer van in the Camarines Sur Water Complex (CWC) , famous for its wakeboarding facilities, but it was such an ordeal to make a reservation. With inclement weather, many cancelled their bookings and we suddenly found a family trailer van available for our family for the next couple of days. These container vans come in blue, green and red and have since been converted into "hotel rooms". The family trailer van we got has 2 rooms: one at the left end with a queen-size bed, another room near the restroom with twin beds. In the middle are a small kitchenette and a tiny receiving area. We
Camsur Water Complex (CWC)Camsur Water Complex (CWC)Camsur Water Complex (CWC)

Container vans converted into "hotel rooms". For US$84, you get a van with 2 rooms : 1 queen-sized bed+2 twin beds, a small kitchenette, a tiny receiving area, and your own toilet and bath.
thought we'd 'wait out' the typhoon in this area. Not bad. The novelty of sleeping in container vans excited the kids no end. One even asked why there were no wheels!


There were hardly any guests the day we arrived. The pool and wakeboarding area beckoned. The cable lines looked almost lonely. No grinding, wheeling sound. With hardly any guests, the waiting staff were eager to please us. We enjoyed our pizzas, rice porridge, salads and beers here. I even got my US$7 one-hour massage in one of the huts lining the pool. By the 3rd day, the complex was teeming with people again. Oh btw, the typhoon didn't hit land. Lucky for us. We enjoyed the place minus the crowd. The kids even found a cat which they named "Bob" and served as their pet for the 3 days, 2 nights we stayed in CWC.


Oh, we had a wonderful summer. We built many memories together, albeit with many last-minute planning. Came as a surprise for them, especially with the kids, who grew so used to me making plans for everything. Well. A little spontaneity won't hurt. 😊








Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

No One's Wakeboarding Today!No One's Wakeboarding Today!
No One's Wakeboarding Today!

There were hardly any guests the day we arrived in CWC. This one's in Pili, the next town to Naga City. One may choose to fly from Manila to Naga City, or take the PNR train (starting June 29, 2011) to get to Naga City.
Not Bad For a Container Van!Not Bad For a Container Van!
Not Bad For a Container Van!

The trailer van easily accommodates a family of 5 pax. Ensuite, airconditioned too! You can even cook using a microwave oven if u feel up to it.
The Night of the Dreaded TyphoonThe Night of the Dreaded Typhoon
The Night of the Dreaded Typhoon

And there we were. Enjoying our beers. On this gloomy night. No crowds. Hmm. Not so gloomy, really.
Kids Took Over the Twin Beds!Kids Took Over the Twin Beds!
Kids Took Over the Twin Beds!

And promptly named and adopted the resident cat! By the time we reached CWC in Pili, my 2 nieces have flown back to Manila. So, just 5 of us, nicely fitting in in this trailer van.
Patricia in CWCPatricia in CWC
Patricia in CWC

There was supposed to be a typhoon, but that won't deter the not-so-little ones from checking out the waters and facilities here in Camsur Water Complex!
Martin's All Set To Hit The PoolMartin's All Set To Hit The Pool
Martin's All Set To Hit The Pool

look at him.......all ready to hit the water! like there's no typhoon.
1st Colonial Grill1st Colonial Grill
1st Colonial Grill

This is one of the oldest restos in Albay. Actually located in Daraga, Albay. Easy to spot if you are driving from Donsol to Legazpi City. We found a nice hotel right above this resto, owned by the same owner.
Sili Shake, anyone?Sili Shake, anyone?
Sili Shake, anyone?

Try their exotic shakes here in Bicol Blends Cafe. One of our fav coffee places in Albay.
Does she look like she's enjoying it?Does she look like she's enjoying it?
Does she look like she's enjoying it?

Ziplining at Embarcadero de Legazpi, Just before our big meal at Bigg's Diner.
Our Bigg's MealOur Bigg's Meal
Our Bigg's Meal

American-inspired Diner. Famous food chain here in this part of the Philippines. Try their baby back ribs. Or their burgers and fried chix.
Mayon SkylineMayon Skyline
Mayon Skyline

Halfway up to Mount Mayon.........
All Smiles!All Smiles!
All Smiles!

Who wouldn't? This family just met their butandings or whale sharks. What an adrenaline high!


14th June 2011

It's not a little rain that is going to scare us!!!
Love all your entries...enjoy family time! I like the way you found out to put even more pictures in a single page! Welldone!
14th June 2011

Out on the road again.
Good to see you are out exploring. You were able to take advantage of the cancellations. Loved the family photo whale sharks.

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 38; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb