Overloading.... It's more fun in the Philippines (sarcasm)


Advertisement
Asia » Philippines » Boracay
April 21st 2012
Published: May 31st 2012
Edit Blog Post

This time we aren’t starting our blog with a flight nightmare but an airport nightmare…seriously, what is wrong with our luck at the moment? We took advantage of some cheap flights but unfortunately those cheap flights were from Clark airport, 3 hours north of Manila. We will warn you now that this is a rather long blog and is a little bit ranty. Getting to Boracay... Clark airport is so bad... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The beach in the afternoonThe beach in the afternoon
The beach in the afternoon

getting much busier!
Another sewerage overflowAnother sewerage overflow
Another sewerage overflow

this time only a couple of metres away from the beach
Lechon baboy...Lechon baboy...
Lechon baboy...

roast pig to you and me
now we are well and truly over capacity!now we are well and truly over capacity!
now we are well and truly over capacity!

it reminded us of the Costa del Sol
Coffee at sunsetCoffee at sunset
Coffee at sunset

(to escape the crowds!)



31st May 2012
Korean groups buying dried mangos

that's a shame :(
I feel sorry for you both...I've always worried about Boracay getting too commercialized, and i guess it actually is getting way too commercialized. It used to be much of a beauty, it'll turn into a waste if the goverment don't do something about it. I think the president actually mentioned about preservation actions for the island. I hope the succeeding flight went well! x
31st May 2012

Thanks for exposing the true face of the Philippines
I really feel for you guys for being victims of the worst kind of rascism and exploitation by the locals in the Philippines. I can’t believe the price of the bus had gone up by a whopping 75 pesos! That is just unacceptable. Not to mention charging 50 pesos for internet access, which should be a human right! It is just so terrible what you guys and other rich Westerners are going through, being exploited in the worst possible manner by the greedy local slum dwellers at every opportunity. Yeah, I really can feel your sorrow and frustration. And you are so right about those other tourists from Korea. Clearly they are not like you at all. Everybody who reads your blog know how happy you are to interact and engage with the locals and that you always totally immerse yourself in the local culture. Unlike those Koreans, you are happy to spend huge amounts of money that always benefits the locals and you never complain about prices or anything, which I guess the Koreans do. Yeah, those Koreans need to be banned from Boracay immediately. Then the island can be the territory of real travellers like Donna and Neil, who are so much appreciated by the locals for all the money they spend without continously moaning and bitching about the price level. Keep up the good work! Looking forward to you exposing more injustice!
31st May 2012

Wow, LBL, you have completely missed the point of this blog. Did you read the part about 40% of the tourists being Filipino? Some of these families save for a hell of a long time to go on holiday for a few days with their family to visit the 'premier' beach resort of Boracay. Then they get there to find that the bus ticket (per person up just over 40% in a month), the boat terminal fee (recently doubled), trike fee to their hotels have increased. Not to mention the amount of money they have to spend on the island to get a basic hotel room or food to eat. It's the domestic tourists that suffer from all of this. It is frustration on our part because we know how 'good' development in tourism can benefit such a poor economy as the Philippines. Instead, the local government just seem to be content to allow (or is it greed?) whatever development to happen on such a small island. It's frustration because pretty soon this island is going to be completely ruined. No, we don't constantly interact with locals, but we interact a lot more than some of the Korean tourists we witnessed - who snap their fingers at Filipinos in restaurants and treat them like second class citizens in their own country or shove small children out of the way - this is what is wrong with the situation on Boracay. Yes, we believe when you are paying that much money for a room, internet should be included if it's available (which it is as the hotel uses it for bookings) and so should towels at no extra cost (as well as a working toilet, air con and TV when you are paying for it) - it's just a little bit money grabbing to not include these things as if they are something special. Exploited by the 'greedy local slum dwellers'? What?
31st May 2012

People from Sunderland get everywhere!
Shame to hear about Boracay. Was lovely 4 years ago. Have to find some more hidden gems and not tell anyone about them so they don't turn out the same. Hope you guys are both well.
31st May 2012

Yes, those Mackems get everywhere ;)
Thanks for your comment Kris and Kate...it was very weird and quite random hearing a Sunderland accent! We are both well, thanks. About the hidden gems - yep, when we find a nice unspoilt place we do try and keep it secret! Hope you are both well and enjoying teaching still.
31st May 2012

Thanks for the information and the update
We are heading to the Philippines in November and this will be helpful. Being our first trip who knows where we will end up but your information is useful.
31st May 2012

Thanks Donna and Neil
Couldn't agree with you more. The first time I visited the place in 2001, I was renting a nipa hut right in front of the beach at 400 pesos at the now primed boat station 1. When I visited with my family 2008 it costs us 4,000 a night to stay in the same area. The food is great though, if you are budgeting 500-700 pesos a night on those fine restaurants on station 1. The beach in that area was still beautiful, but the mess boat station 2 has become and the over developing even at the center of the island was just too much. As a Filipino, I know that Boracay again is becoming a clear case of of becoming a failed tourist destination and an environmental disaster as a result of corrupt management. This really makes me mad. This has happened to Puerto Galera before and now its happening to Boracay. Do I even need to say how the tarsiers of Bohol are being mistreated. Nocturnal animals that tourists can poke in the middle of the day. My rants can go on and on. Im so mad, thanks Donna and Neil for this article, I hope our people will stop beings short sighted and really care about the beauty of our country.
1st June 2012

What a shame
I was really shocked to see how Boracay has changed. It was a lovely place to chill and relax, but I wouldn't want to go back again. I'm glad we saw it before it's demise.
13th August 2012

Oh dear....
...you will soon be challenging me for TB's resident curmudgeon award ;) I think tourists, both local and international get ripped off whenever they enter a tourist trap. While we have been away in Vietnam, attempts have been made to rip the missus off, obviously she was having none of it and dealt with it in her own special way. As for those pesky South Koreans, I have a great way of showing my feelings towards them and frequently do this by parading around among them in my Kim Jong-un t-shirt :)
14th September 2012

another sad reality
My family and I were planning on visiting Boracay soon. I'm a Filipino but live farther down south so I haven't really been to Boracay. But reading your blog, I'm now contemplating on going elsewhere. It's mortifying to find that the Boracay we Filipinos have always been so proud of have been reduced to another tourist's nightmare. It's the same thing in some parts of the country I've visited---paying more than the actual worth, too crowded places, poor service, and yes, you are right about the koreans too! Most of us feel humiliated and apologetic and ardently hoping these problems will be addressed soon.
3rd June 2013

Ugh! Sounds completely awful!!! I'm glad that I came through and looked at your blog post from the link you just gave me on the Thorntree.... definitely put off Boracay now!!!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb