ENCHANTING BOHOL


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Bohol » Panglao
August 21st 2012
Published: August 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Panglao IslandPanglao IslandPanglao Island

Valentine Adventure in Panglao Island
February 12, 2009

Start of our New Adventure



Rish and I arrived at the airport around 7:30 am, too early for our 9:45 am flight .We had our “pictorial thing” and window shopping while waiting (I should brought a book with me so that I won’t get bored). We enjoyed our flight; new plane and the flight attendants were accommodating.



We arrived at Mactan airport around 10:45 am and went directly to Supercat Ferry pier. We waited for almost two hours for our trip to BOHOL (our scheduled trip is 12:30pm). We arrived at Tagbilaran pier around 2:15 pm and was greeted by Ms. Lilet, our tour guide. She was the one who arranged our Bohol itinerary.





We arrived at Dumaluan Beach Resort around 2:45pm. After we checked in, Irish and I began to explore the place. I was surprised when I learned that Bohol Beach Club is just beside Dumaluan. We wanted to stay there but it’s too pricey. We went there but there’s an entrance fee of 250 (150 is consumable). So, we went back to our room to get money. We walked around the place. Bohol Beach Club is a huge resort with a long stretch of beach. The sand is fine (but Boracay’s sand is finer), water is very clear (clearer than Bora) calm & shallow even when you're meters away from the shore. It has a magnificent view-a perfect place for pictorial. I’m glad one of the staff offered himself to be our photographer. After the pictorial we decided to swim. Rish was scared because there is a part which is quite pebbly.



After few hours of pictorial, sight seeing and swimming, we we’re starving already so we decided to have a sumptuous dinner. We ordered baked clams, grilled squid, grilled lapu-lapu, chopsuey and a refreshingly watermelon shakes. While we were eating we were serenaded by a Boholano quartet. They sang ballad songs. I requested my favorite song “IT MIGHT BE YOU” but unfortunately they didn’t know it. Instead, they sang their own version of “TILL THERE WAS YOU”. We gave them tip for their effort and nice rendition.





February 13, 2009

BOHOL COUNTRYSIDE DAY TOUR



We woke up around 5:00 am. Our driver/tour guide Kuya Bert (husband of Ms. Lilet) knocked our door around 7:30 am. He greeted us with a big smile.



And then our day tour started…



Loay Backyard Industry (Loay) –the local craftsmen make bolos and other handmade metal crafts.



Irish and I posed for a picture showing the local version of FENCING.





Blood Compact Site ( Tagbilaran City ) –the spot where the Spaniards and the Filipinos fostered friendly relations through blood. This is considered as the First Seed of the United Nations and the first Treaty between the brown and white race.



Picture taking with those good-looking mestizos.







Bilar Man-made Forest (Loboc - Bilar) –awesome display of the thousands mahogany trees painstakingly planted by the Boholanos. The trees were planted to prevent landslide.



What a perfect view. Too bad we didn’t take a nice shot because it was raining.





Chocolate Hills (Carmen) –One thousand two hundred sixty eight haycock hills, which turn brown during dry season. It is considered as one of the wonders of the world.



We took pleasure in this breathtaking work of nature!!! I’ve seen many tourists visiting this place.



Kuya Bert told us that the hills were teardrops of a giant.



Butterfly Sanctuary- comes with landscaped flowering gardens, the beauty of which soothes the senses. It is a welcome addition to the attractions of Bohol and is now part of the itineraries of foreign and local visitors alike.



I’ve learned that female butterfly has bigger wings than male. The tour was educational, indeed.



Tarsier Sanctuary (Loboc) –the smallest monkey in the world along the Loboc River.



Cute tarsiers!!! I took a lot of pictures with them. There are monkeys also but they were angry at me. They were not as friendly as the tarsiers.





Loboc Hanging Bridge- composed primarily of bamboo with the help of a tough steel wire.



Irish was shouting because she was afraid. I told her to face her fear. Whenever there are a lot of people crossing, you’ll experience the bridge swaying as if it will wreck. Alas, as you finished crossing the breathtaking bridge there are a lot of goods in store for you. We met BUKO (coconut) King. He is popular in BOHOL. He won in Eat Bulaga’s own version of Guinness World Records.





Loboc River Cruise (Loay-Loboc) – taking a cruise at the famed Loboc River is one of the most interesting activities that visitors could ever do in Bohol.



I love the buffet lunch served while cruising. Aside from food, floating restaurants also offer entertainment generously. We also watched the Boholanos singing native songs and dancing TINIKLING.



And guess what, Kris Aquino (Philippine’s Queen of Talk Show and daughter of former Pres. Cory Aquino) was there with her family. She’s going to celebrate her b-day on Feb. 14. I learned that she stayed in ESKAYA - luxurious resort in Bohol which costs more than US 500 dollar per villa for a one-night stay.





Clarin Ancestral House (Loay) –a typical Boholano home, which was declared by the National Historical Institute as a heritage site.



We didn’t explore the place anymore because the house’s tour guide wasn’t there.



Prony Python snake- known as "Live Anaconda of Bohol."



I was excited to touch the snake but Rish didn’t want it. I only forced her to get near with the snake.



Trivia. Do you know that the snake eats at least 6-kilo of pork every month?



Baclayon Church and Museum (Baclayon) – the second oldest church in the Philippines.



We were amazed by the strange image of Padre Pio on the church’s wall.





Aproniana Gift Shoppe-Pasalubong center.



We bought peanut kisses, broas, star peanut as presents for our dear ones. I bought a tank top

that has an I Love Bohol print as a souvenir.





Bohol Bee Farm- An extraordinary find! A sanctuary hidden from the world. Discreetly located and nestled in lush greens and quiet paths, guests can commune with nature and relax from stresses and a strain of daily life.



A female staff offered us a tour. She showed us the bees (but it was raining so we didn’t see enough bees), and the cliff near the seashore.



We ordered seafood pizza (home-made tomato sauce topped with shrimp, squid, fresh basil and oregano), meat pasta and organic salad (fresh picked assorted romaine lettuce, radish, turnips, mustard greens and indigenous flowers served with honey mustard salad dressing). This experience made me realize that flowers like katuray and bougainvillea are edible.





When we got back to our resort, we just had a quick rest and reconciled our expenses

(it’s like going back to basic accounting, huh).



We went to the resort’s mini bar to have some drinks but the waiters were not accommodating so we decided to go back to our room. We also need to sleep early coz our call time for tomorrow is 5:30 am for our island tour.



February 14, 2009



Valentine’s Day.(v)



We woke up at 5 am. We were excited for our island hopping. We thought it won’t push trough coz there was a low pressure in Bohol.



Our boatmen were late. The call time was 5:30 but they came around 6:30. Anyway, we didn’t complain anymore since we didn’t want to spoil our day.



We traveled almost 1 hour just to reach Pamilacan Island and see the Dolphins.



After our Dophin watching we went snorkeling in Marine Sanctuary, Balicasag Island.

At first, we were really scared though this was not our first time. We snorkeled in Bora before. But this is scarier but super exciting. Our tour guide was patient enough to assist us and after a few minutes we managed to see the beauty of the marine sanctuary. I’ve seen colorful sea creatures. It’s like a kingdom under the sea. Superb.



When we got back to the sea shore we were approached by a female native selling souvenir items. But her items were quite pricey. Since I’m Ilocana I know how to bargain. I fell in love with the white bracelet. She told me it costs 150 but I got it for only 70.





They also have the Virgin Island (just like Puka in Boracay) but we didn’t have time to check it out because of time constraint.



We checked out at 12 pm. We had our lunch in Dumaluan but their menu is more expensive than in Bohol Beach Club. I ordered steamed Lapu Lapu and I was surprised coz the serving was very small. I like the taste, though.





Ms. Lilet and her nephew fetched us. We had a half day tour before we could go back to Cebu.



Hinagdanan Cave- the entrance of the cave is narrow and steep and only one person at a time can enter. The large underground cavern has a pond, looking dark yet enthralling.



I think the place looks like Callao Cave (Cagayan) but Irish told me it looks like Sagada( Benguet).



Outside the cave there were shops selling souvenir items. I bought t-shirts for my sisters, Nini and Neth.



Watch Tower- a triangular-shaped watchtower located in Punta Cruz, Maribojoc. A staircase leads to the top and looking out from its windows, one can see the neighboring islands of Cebu, Siquijor, and Mindanao. It was built in the year 1796 by the Spaniards and was dedicated to St. Vincent Ferrer, Maribojoc’s patron saint. It served as a spying point; since Muslim invaders used to attack the town at that time. A wooden cross is planted in a slightly indented area in front of the tower. According to a legend, the cross saved many people from pirates through an enchanted spell. As it was facing the sea, it was said to be extending its arms to the sea, thus preventing bandits.



Mag-Aso Falls- is one of Bohol’s natural treasures. There are more than 100 steps with metal handrails leading towards the falls. You must bring water with you coz you might get dehydrated while taking the steps going down there. We took a lot of pictures and I’m glad we had two young men who served as our tour guide and photographer. It was like it’s their first time to hold a camera coz they were really excited. And I like the smile of the guy who wore red shirt coz it reminds me of Sheila, my college friend. They have the same smile.



After our last day tour, we dropped by to the cathedral and whispered a little prayer. We thanked God for keeping us safe and we asked Him for His guidance to our journey in Cebu.









Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb