hiking in Passu 2


Advertisement
Pakistan's flag
Asia » Pakistan » Northern Areas
August 21st 2006
Published: October 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

August 21

After a leasurely morning breakfast with tea and omelets it was too late for a big trip so it was time for the Yangzt Vally. Even though it was clearly described by the hotel manager I completely missed the turnoff for this hike and ended up further down the road, using a rockslide to scramble to the old path, after walking the channel for a bit I realize why it now is called the old path as a rockslide has completely taken out the path that was previously carved into the mountain side. Rather than backtracking all the way to the right path it was time for some more Indiana Jones action by clambering around the slide, the most worriesome aspect being the cars and villagers directly below me and the loos rock. Afterwards its time to take a well deserved JC and head further up the path, this continues into small valleys with great views of the Passu Glacier though this time from the opposite side as the previouse day. Even though this trek is much easier to follow the only fellow trekers I find are two curious baby goats. After a 400m+ ascent I reach the Yantze valley. It stretches as far as you can see and is incredibly wide. This is the time to truly enjoy Jimmy Hendrix and some shirtless backpacking. After an exhausting stretch of valley I reach the opposite side coming out at the next glacier from this range the Borat Glacier, though as a storm is slowly creaping towards me from the head of the glacier I decide to hurry back. Attempting to take a shortcut only results in myself getting horribly lost on the morraine of this glacier, finally backtracking to the wall of the glacier and finding the path once again. After coming back on the road its an endless parade of the heavely decorated transport trucks and an amazing rainbow. The vegetable curry makes being soaked well worth it and the ice cold shower endurable.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0776s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb