Dwarves Among Giants


Advertisement
Asia » Pakistan » Northern Areas » Karimabad
October 28th 2006
Published: November 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Most of our dreams of Pakistan had involved finally getting up north to the giants of the Karakorum Range. Here the mighty Indus rushes out of the Himalaya and Pakistan has 3 different huge mountain ranges meeting; the Karakorum, Hindu Kush and Himalaya. It really is one of the highest places on earth and many of the world’s largest glaciers adorn the peaks. Jolt, crash shudder…this was ho... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

China!China!
China!

Our first glimpse of this giant country. This is the SW corner, close to the Afghan and Tajik borders.
Commie B*****ds !!Commie B*****ds !!
Commie B*****ds !!

Our plans for some cheeky photos proudly posing inside China, with no visas etc. are thwarted by this excessive fence at 4,900m up in the middle of nowhere. Arse. Still it was an amazing trek anyway.
Border CrossingBorder Crossing
Border Crossing

On top of the Kilik Pass, a high Pamir plateau at nearly 5,000m and standing on the border with China. The fence is just behind the border post.
PakistanPakistan
Pakistan

The view back from the Kilik Pamir into Pakistan, looking over the blizzard covered Karakorum.
Shit HouseShit House
Shit House

Erika outside one of the shepherds' huts we were forced to use by sub-zero temperatures. The floor, roof and 'mortar' in the walls is all made from, you guessed it - shit.
Hunza ValleyHunza Valley
Hunza Valley

On the left side of the river is the Kingdom of Nagyr, the right is Hunza. Both have centuries of labour to make the terraces cut into the hillsides.



8th November 2006

Incredible Scenery
Great Post! There were so many thoughts on reading this blog. Like, "Wow, Pakistan. I KNEW it was safe to travel there!". ---"I'll bet the food in Pakistan was good". ---"That Yak is at once surreal, beautiful and ugly." --- "Damn those are some huge mountains!" ---"That Batura Galcier is otherworldly, I MUST see it someday."----"Wait, are they backpacking in the snow in Pakistan at 4000 meters high at the Chinese border?" -- "Commie Bastards!!"
23rd November 2006

Hi. I live in karachi, and just happened to search 'pakistan travel blogs' on google, came across your blog. It's very interesting how you two have decided to travel across so many thousands of miles on a bike. It was very sad to hear about the experience you had with the poilcemen. Sadly, that's what happens when corruption and poverty come together. And given Pakistan's political atmposphere, it just makes things a whole lot worse. A lot of the rural areas of Pakistan do present a sordid scene. Just hope you don't have to encounter any more officials who like to flaunt and abuse their authority while here.(Though apparently you're almost done with the Pakistani Leg of your journey). Good Luck and have Fun!!
10th December 2006

Great Pics!
Keep 'em coming!
28th February 2007

Pakistan is the best!!!
I spent three months in Pakistan. My friend Zahra lives in Altit. Her family own property very close to the Eagle's Nest Hotel. I sat with her family and friends on the floor of a mud hut sharing a meal of potatoes and greens. Afterwards a cake bread and chai. I didn't understand what was being said but we laughed and connected. I stay in touch with my new found friends and new family. I crossed the Passu glacier while in Pak. I also got invited to three polo matches in Gilgit. One of which I was guest and got to throw the game ball! I met the chief of Police and was given a police cap. I also started a small fast food resturant on main street in Gilgit with a man named Haij Baig. I made many friends and am looking forward to returning. I saw many of the places you have photographed and it makes me very homesick to return to this wonderful country. I could go on for hours of all the wonderful experiences. I too went to the China border and videoed the Yak. People should not be afraid of going to Pakistan. The people are very friendly. Thank you for your pics. It has made my heart feel warm.
6th May 2010

as you know the culture of the people of northern area of Pakistan and the warm welcoming to the guest out of the country. recently in January 04, 10. there were land slide and the area is totally blocked and a lake of 15km is formed.pleaz send this comment to everyone who had visited that area.

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb