Master of the Moon


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal
October 27th 2013
Published: October 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

What reading material to take with you to Nepal? Master of the Moon, will be an excellent travelling companion for anyone travelling and trekkking in Nepal, or the Himalayas in general. It draws on my experiences as a UNDP volunteer in Kathmandu during its hippy heyday in the late '60s. with the people, culture and religions of Nepal at that particular time, when Nepal was being discovered by baby-boomers travelling, for the most part, overland across Asia to find themselves through experiments with religion and hasheesh.

Mixing autobiography, travelogue, philosophy, and fiction, Master of the Moon has something for everyone, particularly for those of you thinking of visiting the Himalayas as tourists or volunteers, who want to know more about the cultures and religions of the region.

You will find out what it was like to trek in the pre-tea house days, when you stayed in villagers' houses; you will attend a consultation with an astrologer; you will see what the Kathmandu valley was like when you knew who owned each car; what it was like to be adopted by a Nepalese family, and what happens when the family falls apart. You will participate in a serious philosophical quest, as Frank heads for a holy lake, and learn a lot about Hinduism and Buddhism in the process. You will learn how a forbidden cross-cultural love affair is negotiated, and what happens when things go wrong.

You will visit a brothel....And then there's the killing.

You can buy the paperback or e-book version at http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BJNSTLO (UK Marketplace) or http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJNSTLO (US Marketplace) or, if you are based elsewhere,http://www.amazon.com

All the profit from sales will go towards the charitable activities of the Himalayan Education Lifeline Programme (HELP), which I set up 10 years ago. You can see what the charity does by going to: www.help-education.org

Happy reading!

Jim Coleman

Advertisement



Tot: 0.281s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.2295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb