Kozy in Kathmandu


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal
August 22nd 2005
Published: August 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Into NepalInto NepalInto Nepal

After walking across the border from China to Nepal, I negotiated a 7-person jeep to transport us to Kathmandu, about 3 hours away.
Our group found its way to the border of China and Nepal and, aftering scaming the Chinese gov't out of its 200 RMB fine for not having a guide, we walked out of China and into Nepal. After getting our visas, I arranged for transport to Kathmandu, about 3 hours away. Not long after arriving, I found my self laying in a king-sized bed at the Earth House Hotel (thanks Scottie Berkson for the recommendation), a nice change from the small Chinese beds I have been using for 2 months.

Well, it's been two weeks and 3 days since that day and there are too many memories to write down. My time here in Kathmandu has been incredible; filled with relaxation, site seeing, religious moments, good time with friends and reflection.

A few of my highlights:

1. Walking the narrow, crowded streets of Kathmandu's Thamel area. The only other time I have experienced this type of sensation was during a stroll in the Muslim section of Jerusalem. But here in Nepal, as a white person, you are continually jumped by vendors to buy goods, hash or go treking. Nonetheless, the sites, sounds and smells as you walk are
Nepali trafficNepali trafficNepali traffic

On the narrow, twisty roads of Nepal, we passed a few of these overcrowded buses with passengers on the top.
sometimes overwhelming but always enjoyable. I'm just glad I was not clipped by a fast moving motorcycle or rickshaw.

2. Motorcycle riding through the towns of Kathmandu and surrounding area, including the twisty roads that lead up to Nagarot, a mountain village with great views of Kathmandu valley. I thought people in NYC drive crazy but that is nothing compared to the daredevil tactics of Nepalese drivers. They dart out into traffic without warning. I even witnessed a boy on a bike get clipped by a bus which then swerved over a divider and into a concrete statue. All of this happened right in front of me as I was doing about 40mph.

3. The sombre feeling as I sat and watched cremation ceremonies at Pashupatinath, a holy Hindu temple.

4. The laughs, chess games and movies at the Boogie Woogie cafe with the incredibly friendly Nepalese owners and waiters. They were all to happy to play us in chess all day and put whatever DVD we wanted on the TV, even if another one was scheduled to play.

Well, Ollie and I are off to Pokhara next, a beautiful lake-side village about 6 hours from
Crowded streets of Thamel, KathmanduCrowded streets of Thamel, KathmanduCrowded streets of Thamel, Kathmandu

The ridiculously narrow, unpaved back alley paths of Thamel, Kathmandu are overpacked with cars, motorcycles, pedestrians, rickshaws and animals. I am amazed there are not more accidents.
Kathmandu. Then, our plan is to hit Ritwan National Reserve to see some Elephants, Tigers and Rhinos before entering northern India

I hope everywhere back home is doing well and dealing with the raging NYC heat as best as possible.

Larry








Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Near Durbar squareNear Durbar square
Near Durbar square

Ollie and walked to Durbar Square (Kathmandu), on the way passing these fantastic temples and buildings.
Monk and BirdsMonk and Birds
Monk and Birds

Here a monk feeds a large group of pigeons outside a temple.
BirdsBirds
Birds

I capture a pigeon in mid-flight.
Temple DoorTemple Door
Temple Door

This door signifies the Hindu side of this particular temple.
Temple WallTemple Wall
Temple Wall

Same temple features intricate designs of many gods of the Hindu religion.
Me and ladies on streetMe and ladies on street
Me and ladies on street

I stop a group of ladies in traditional garb to take a photo.
President's  photoPresident's  photo
President's photo

Notice the three military men guarding the photo. A bit of trouble here in this paradise city.
UN truckUN truck
UN truck

I have never scene an official UN vehicle before so I wanted to remember this....the vehicle was parked inside of Durbar Square, which is a World Heritage Unesco site.
Rooftop view of Durbar Square's Basantapur SquareRooftop view of Durbar Square's Basantapur Square
Rooftop view of Durbar Square's Basantapur Square

Durbar Square (Kathmandu) was where the city's kings were once crowned and legitimised, and where they ruled. The square consists of over 24 Temples, statues and spectacular buildings. Here, from a restaurant rooftop, is the view of Basantapur Square where vendors sell lots of trinkets.
Me and Nepalese kidsMe and Nepalese kids
Me and Nepalese kids

After playing tag with some kids in Durban Square, Ollie snapped this photo. And no, I am not bald! It's just the lighting!
Durbar  SquareDurbar  Square
Durbar Square

One of the temple tops of Durbar Square
Women in lineWomen in line
Women in line

These women, about 500 or so, are on line for a blessing at the Durban Square temple.
me and older ladiesme and older ladies
me and older ladies

These ladies sit instead of standing in line. So I chatted with them for a bit.
Spice MarketSpice Market
Spice Market

In the many markets that pepper this city, you come across these tables filled with spices which make-up the wonderfully tasty Nepali food.
Praying at the shrinePraying at the shrine
Praying at the shrine

At this smaller shrine, Nepalese women walk around the religious structure and then bow inside.
Head StrongHead Strong
Head Strong

I believe the tub was empty.


Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb