Hiking! The lead up


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal
October 16th 2018
Published: October 16th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Time to hike!

But how? And where?

We've been in contact with Bino, the manager of Shangri-la, who also has his travel company. We were looking for a short hike. And, for my friends that are not so well trained, an easy one. The initial trek that was offered, was a 5 day one, trekking 6h/day,for 50€/day. Not bad, but perhaps a bit much. We'd rather do one that is a bit shorter.

Looking at other treks online, we found 2 3-day treks labeled 'easy' and 'intermediate. The second was to poon hill, which had great reviews and featured sunrise from the top of a 3200m hill. It seemed to be just a 1000 or so meter climb from the starting point. Perfect!

We asked Bino to arrange that for us, but he said doing it in 3 days was very ambitious. 4 is better. Well, we did want our trek easy, so that seemed acceptable. 52€/day too. Including all food, lodging, guide, taxi to the start and back, permits, Tims (seperate registration for when a disaster hits)

We agreed
(and only later learned that you have to pay seperately for basic amenities, like drinking water, shower, electricity, other drinks, toilet paper and that they charge a lot for those things, up in the mountains).
Oh well :p

Then, things changed a bit. On the evening before heading out. Mark reconsidered. He's had a huge headache on each of the more intense walks. Probably related to a heatstroke he had before. He decided that he would probably enjoy himself more, if he would just chill by the lake and enjoy pokhara a bit more. His decision, good choice if he didn't feel like it. But.. Strange for Simon and me.

We met our guide at 6:30 in the morning and headed out an hour later. Bye Mark! Have a good time 😊

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb