Rafting the Kaligonduki


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Pokhara
May 15th 2013
Published: May 31st 2013
Edit Blog Post

After basking in the fresh food, iced coffees, and ice cream of Pokhara, we decided to embark on one last adventure abroad: a raft trip down the Kaligonduki (say it with a Nepalese accent--it sounds much better). We found Paddle Nepal, and they run a great program. We actually signed a medical release, were given a gear list, and felt like we were in good hands.

We started the trip with a classic Nepalese bus ride--passing on blind curves and trying not to look down the guardrail-less cliff just to our right. Upon arrival we helped unload the boats, and watched as they rigged two paddle boats and one gear boat, all without NRS straps. The gear boat was impressive--they had made their own oars out of wood. I attempted to get behind the captain seat of the gear boat on the last day--I was slightly shamed by those heavy oars, as I was hardly able to lift them out of the water.

The trip was great! We went over some big rapids, learned a lot from our guides who spoke great English, and got to splash around on the kayaks in the flat water. We were treated like royalty--served tea and popcorn upon arrival, we were cooked amazing meals, and locals even came by with beer for sale.

Granted, the water was probably a little thick with all kinds of things that end up in the rivers in third world countries. Yet, there was a great volume of water flowing down the river--probably doing a lot to filter out some of those contaminants.

We saw locals fishing in water, and kids with impressive, original contraptions to help them float down the river. One boy was wearing a belt of empty water bottles around him, and we watched as another stripped, putting his dry clothes in a plastic bag, and putting that bag in another plastic bag. He blew up the outside plastic bag like a balloon, held on tight, and kicked his way across the river. Brilliant!

We had a great time--met a great crew of Europeans and Americans, and enjoyed hanging out with the Nepalese boaters, who are definitely 'studs' within their communities. Thanks, Nepal, for a great trip, both in the mountains and in the rivers!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Gear boat Gear boat
Gear boat

Check out the heavy, homemade oars.


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb