Day 37 to 44


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Pokhara
November 8th 2010
Published: November 30th -0001
Edit Blog Post

Namaste!

Day 37

Long drive to Lucknow arriving in the evening, went on the hunt for food but no luck so headed back to the hotel to eat there and drink the local vodka (which is a bout 25p a shot, bargain!) Was really tired though so a fairly early night of 11.30 but not before annoying and waking up the grumpy boys ( if you are reading this it was cheryl, not me!) Was a very weird hotel though and the staff were creepy and unhelpful, got very bad vibes and it did not help talking about the film hostel just before bed!

Day 38

Thankfully left the hotel and again another long drive to the town of Varanasi on the river Ganges. Arrived about 5.30 just in time for a quick shower and change before heading out to celebrate Mr Ross and Jude's Birthday. Ate at a mediterranean place owned by a Nepalese family who were lovely and supplied us with gin and offered a welcome relief from curry and mcdonalds!

Day 39

A very early start of 5.30am for a sunrise boat trip on the Ganges. The river ganges is a holy river for Hindus and they use it to bathe and wash away their sins. They also use it to float dead bodies to peace and their equivalent of heaven...healthy! Have to say was very tired and not in the best of moods so didn't appreciate it straight away but it was beautiful and really interesting to see everyone washing (with clothes on before you think I am a perve) and collecting the holy water. Also saw some funeral Pyres to cremate the bodies on before they are floated. Walked back to the bus through the small streets and the older parts of Varanasi which was good to see but not smell first thing in the morning after getting back to the hotel and a nap a few of us headed out for food and ended up in a little local place called McDonalds (please don’t judge!) Afterwards we headed over to another hotel for a swim in their pool and a bit of a sunbathe. Pizza Hut for tea then bed before the early start the next day.

Day 40
Left at 7am for possibly the worst day of the trip. A long hot uncomfortable 12 hour drive to the India/Nepal border. Thankfully the crossing was the easiest so far and we quickly got onto the bus and got to the hotel. Fairly basic complete with grasshoppers and geckos in the room but nice enough. Quick meal downstairs in the hotel then bed.

Day 41
Left at 9am for Chitwan National Park a fairly short drive with the most diverse and beautiful scenery so far. Got to the hotel which was really nice in time for lunch we had a few hours just to chill out before heading to the elephant breeding centre. Was really nice to see them but a bit sad because they were chained up and clearly not happy with the situation! They are out most of the day and allowed to roam and go down to the river but that didn’t make it easier to see! Back to the hotel for a few beers before heading out to see some local dancing in one of the village halls. By this time Cheryl and I were a little tipsy and found the whole thing hilarious it was basically Nepalese morris dancing but with snake hips a random combination but impressive all the same! Dinner at the hotel then bed.

Day 42
Got up early for a canoe trip on the river which was lovely and peaceful but had a bit of a shaky start when we first got in the canoe as it dipped quite low in the water but after removing Bongo and making him sit in another canoe we set off. About an hour later we moored up and got off to start our jungle trek. The trek started with a warning talk about what to do if approached by various animals. If it was a rhino you climb a tree or run in a zig zag (easier said than done me thinks!) If its a tiger stare it in the eyes and back away and there was one animal that just attacks your face! So after this reassuring message we set off in groups of 7 all excited. After about half an hour of stopping every few minutes because the guides “heard” something, being smacked in the face by branches and pulling leeches off my trousers and shoes it wore thin (bear in mind I’m wearing a long sleeved shirt buttoned up to my chin, trousers tucked into my wool socks, and walking boots in boiling and humid jungle) Finally we stopped because there was actually something to see. A grey blob hiding behind some bushes that was apparently a rhino (not convinced and starting to believe the whole thing is a conspiracy and they go out every morning and stamp footprints in the mud) Carried on through the jungle and finally made it through. Walked back to the hotel and got some lunch before having a nap. At 3ish we set off for our elephant ride, was still a bit sceptical but once we got there absolutely loved it! We had a 35 year old female carrying 4 of us and a really nice driver(?) and it was cool just riding through the jungle. We stopped in a clearing and chomping away on some grass was a mummy and baby rhino, the little one was so cute and completely unfazed by about 15 elephants being ridden by humans staring at it. After watching them for a bit we carried on with our trip through the jungle and across rivers whilst the sun set. After the trek we went back to the hotel via the village to stock up on essentials (Dairy Milk and Pringles) Tea at the hotel with a few gins followed by what would have been a relaxing swing in a hammock if it wasn’t for Anna tipping me out and then the rope snapping!

Day 43
Left Chitwan for Pokhara , again really nice scenery but very bumpy roads. Got to the hotel about 1pm and set off a while later in search of food. After a very long wait finally got fed about 4pm and went for a wander round the town which is full of ageing hippies, beards and tie dye but I love it and it has a really nice atmosphere. Cheryl and I stopped off for a drink which turned into 3 very strong long island ice teas each. Went back to the hotel to dump our stuff and have a quick shower before heading back out (fanta bottle filled with gin in hand) met up with the boys and proceeded to get the most drunk I have been on the trip!

Day 44
Woke up early this morning but surprisingly hangover free! And while the other girls went horse riding decided it was best to catch up on this and finally upload photos (currently 56 minutes to go!) Hiring a rowing boat later and going for a swim in the lake before free group meal later on tonight!

Thats all for now folks be in contact soon!

Loves
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX




Advertisement



17th November 2010

so far!!
Katie!! it sounds gurd, seen that river on the telly, rather cool that you were there...mcdonalds....really?? glad to see you sample the foreign versions!! oh, yeah i saw the picture of a rhino on an album, and if i am completely honest i did think it was a statue, (you neverIcan tell with a rhino lol) so i am glad you cleared that up for me. I have also noted that i am going to also have to become a semi alcoholic so i can keep up with your drinking when you get back...!! tara for now my little hippy xxxxx

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb