Namche


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Namche
October 8th 2009
Published: October 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well after a very long walk uphill we've made it to Namche at an altitude of 3445m. I still haven't seen any Himalayan peaks as it's been cloudy and rainy the last few days but the scenery at ground level is still really nice. We followed a raging river the first couple of days that originates at Mt Everest.

Today we had a "rest" day at Namche which involved a walk 400m to the Everest View Hotel which unfortunately today was the white cloud view hotel. it's at 3880m so its now the highest I've ever been and thankfully so far I don't have any signs of altitude sickness - only a slight headache this morning but a litre of water seemed to fix it.

Namche is amazing - there's dozens of internet cafe's, bakeries, pool halls and shops selling trekking gear. Our trek guide spends half the time on his mobile talking to his wife!! nowhere near as remote as you would imagine...and of course there are hundreds if not thousands of trekkers.

Tomorrow we head up the Gokyo valley so I imagine the crowds will thin out as most people head straight up to everest base camp.

Gotta go to dinner...thanks for all of the comments...have attached a few photos.
Scott


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



8th October 2009

Wow
This is so amazing, keep up that water, and stay safe.
8th October 2009

Namaste!
Good to see that there are internet cafes around the place... I would have thought it would be a bit harder to get online! Has anyone had to be sent back to Kathmandu with a sherpa yet? At night time are the stars really bright? Good to see the beard is growing in. I expect grissly adams style when you pitch up at work on 2 November or perhaps just even a '70's handlebar mo. Mary Anne says hi and is glad that you are looking so well :)
9th October 2009

Hi scott
Great to hear of no altiude probs so far! Lovely to see pics. I wonder if Sara recognises Daddy with all the dark stuff on his face! Hope the clouds part soon. love Mum xx
15th October 2009

Cool Photos
Those photos are pretty amazing. Glad you're having a good time bro. See you soon after you get back. And I expect you to have a massive beard by the end of your trip.

Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0993s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb