Nepal Boarder and Buddha


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Lumbini
November 11th 2009
Published: November 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

LumbiniLumbiniLumbini

World Peace Pagoda
We got a night train from Varanasi to Gorakpur (north India, on our way to the boader with Nepal). The people in Varanasi train station must have know we were to be leaving India because they pulled out all the stops to give us an extra 'special' send off......late train, begging by the poorliest children we've ever seen, so much staring, drunks, people wanting photos of us, constant ''hello, where are you from?''.....we were even sketched by somone. We were warn out afterwards!

3 hour chicken bus north from Gorakpur to Sunauli, the boarder town between India and Nepal. It's like a big truck stop so we didn't linger. Got stamped out of India by the arrogant, sour faced Indian Immigration Officials and then stamped into Nepal by the smiling, welcoming Nepalese Immigration Officials......we liked Nepal already. After a snack of buff momos (buffalo) we got a couple of jam-packed local buses to the nearby town of Lumbini, about 1 hour away from the boarder.

Lumbini is a lovely, sleepy little town made famous for being the place where Buddha was born. Just outside the town there are the ruins of a monastary and a huge tree marking the
LumbiniLumbiniLumbini

As the sign says....
spot. The surrounding area is filled with newly built Tibetan monastaries, as this is a main area for Buddhist pilgrimage. We hired bikes the following day to explore the temples. The dusty dirt roads made for a slightly uncomfortable ride but the scenery and temples were fab and so beautiful so we didn't mind. We visited the world peace pagoda built by Japanese buddhists and rode through a crane sanctuary!

With Dee's birthday only a few days away, we wanted to get to Pokhara so we got the 7am bus the next day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

LumbiniLumbini
Lumbini

Guard of the world peace pagoda
LumbiniLumbini
Lumbini

World Peace Pagoda
LumbiniLumbini
Lumbini

Holly on a bike
LumbiniLumbini
Lumbini

Golden Stupa
LumbiniLumbini
Lumbini

Bumpy bike ride
LumbiniLumbini
Lumbini

Chinese Monastry
LumbiniLumbini
Lumbini

German Stupa
LumbiniLumbini
Lumbini

Lumbini museum also known as Fullpipe heaven!
LumbiniLumbini
Lumbini

Sri Lanka Monastry
LumbiniLumbini
Lumbini

Cambodian Monastry gateway


20th November 2009

Yeah Nepal!!
Wow, what a great start in your new country!! I hope you both enjoy peaceful Nepal... Lots of Love!!! -Bx
20th November 2009

Empty Nepal
There are so few people here compared to India, that's why the place looks empty........ We're loving it!
20th November 2009

Empty Nepal
There are so few people here compared to India, that's why the place looks empty........ We're loving it!
21st November 2009

I like the look of Nepal, i particularly like the Golden Stupa.

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb