Kathmandu- Climbers, Kilowatts and Crud


Advertisement
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu
October 14th 2012
Published: October 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

A note from both of us: Just a reminder that this blog is full of personal opinions and impressions and in no way meant to offend anyone, but to share our honest feelings. We are of the impression that almost every reader of TravelBlog does not want any wind blown up their skirt and wants to know the impressions of the people who have traveled to countries throughout the world. So, with that be... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Electrical wiresElectrical wires
Electrical wires

strung randomly



16th October 2012

Aaaargh!
I've just started to feel settled and then I read this!! Thanks!!! Looks like you're still having an amazing time wherever you go. Planning a trip to Spain????
16th October 2012

Wanderlust can be wicked
Hello Russ, So great to hear from you. We are having a grand time. We have our rhythm down for now. We are moving at a good pace. We do look forward to our time in the Philippines when we really slow down. We will not be heading to Spain on this trip but maybe in the next year or two. Hopefully, our paths will cross. Let us know where you take off to next.
16th October 2012

Yo from the safety of Cow-town
Dave, enjoy reading the blogs. Appreciate the brutal honesty of the last report. I sometimes wondered if all I ever read is the good stuff, or you and MerryJo are two of the luckiest people in the world, or both. Stay safe and keep up the blogs. Gotta Google Bhutan now to find it!
16th October 2012

Wow
Hope you both are fully recovered from your respective illness and injury and ready to push on to a hopefully more enjoyable destination. Know that you both got the very best from the experience that could possibly be had and were able to find the positive in the experience. Take care of yourselves!
16th October 2012

We always learn from the experiences
Nepal has some beautiful countryside but Kathmandu is not for us. I guess we can't be in love with every location. We are very happy to be in Bhutan....and it is lovely...and clean.
16th October 2012

I'm planning a visit this winter to Nepal (a country I've never been to) and India (a country I know very well). Kathmandu sounds like India's slums - in miniature. Maybe I'll give it a miss! Let's hope that Bhutan will be more to your liking and that you both will be well enough to enjoy it to the full.
17th October 2012

Hi Mike
I'm aware of your up coming trip as I have been corresponding with David and Janice. Kathmandu has gone down hill over recent years. You might spend a day or so checking out the main temples and shrines as those areas were the cleanest. I'd spend money and stay in a clean place. We heard the Kathmandu guest house is nice. On our last day in town we read an article in the paper where the head of the roads department stated the roads are dilapidated and dangerous. He stated they would all be repaired in one month's time. We are not sure what he is smoking but it can't happen. The town is a pit. I'm sure you wil enjoy Nepal just don't stat in Kathmandu long. If you read the other blogs we wrote you'll see we had a good time.
16th October 2012

What an Interesting Blog
I am glad you wrote of how you really felt about your time there. I was well written and not unfair from the pictures and your description. I'm glad you found some nice areas to visit and look forward to some more blogs. Enjoy your next stop and be well. I miss you. B
17th October 2012

Hi Brendan,
Yes, we like to be honest about what we see. It does not benefit us or other travelers to paint the wrong picture. I will admit we are cup half full kind of people and look for the good if places rather than the bad. But, Kathmandu is a pit and that is how we see it. There is so much possibility. We were told that graft and corruption are big problems and that is why road projects never get completed. We don't know that for sure so did not include that in our blog but looking around the city it certainly makes sense. Best to see other parts of the country.
16th October 2012

We don't need lip service
So say it like you see it. We loved it 12 years ago but everyone who comes back now says pretty much what you outlined. Disappointing. We did see plenty of people squatting in the streets and it smelt of urine but it seems to have gotten worse. Better head for the hills, and they are impressive hills. Enjoy.
17th October 2012

Head for the hills is good advice
We were taken aback by this town. You never expect Asia to be clean but we could not see any effort to make things better. The locals do not seem to notice. I remember in Vietnam you would frequently see shop owners sweeping and trying to get rid of the garbage. Many people spoke of the down hill slide of the last decade. The roads are craters, ruts and pits.
17th October 2012

not good news...
...about your respective health issues. Merry, that fall sounds scary- your poor head! Hope you are both out of the wars now and keep getting better. xx
17th October 2012

Thanks for the concern for our health
We are going for 90 minute massages today.....medicinal purposes only. Yes, the bump on my head was pretty nasty. Dave was concerned because when I fainted I was completely out for a few seconds and not responding to him. Before I regained consciousness he had time to wonder if I had broken my neck. Hopefuuly no mor face plants on hard surfaces.
17th October 2012
They can be mean

the troupe leaders can be particularly nasty, but I still have a soft spot for monkeys :)
17th October 2012
They can be mean

That is why they are so dangerous...
They are cute so you want to trust them. I'm always surprised how fast they can move. Next thing you know they are giving you an ugly look or coming after you.
17th October 2012
They can be mean

yes they are still essentially wild animals trying to survive in harsh city conditions. andrew's not a fan of them either, but I love watching them - they never fail to amuse, shock or disgust me - just like humans do I suppose. the best part of my zoology degree was spending hours 'studying' monkeys at the melbourne zoo :)
17th October 2012
They can be mean

Hi Ren,
I didn't realize you had a degree in Zoology. I understand your interest in these beast. We enjoyed them in Bali at the Monkey Forest in Ubud. Dave is like Andrew and just doesn't care for them...or trust them.
17th October 2012

No Monkey Fan Here
Like Dave, I can't bring myself to trust monkeys. Had a bad episode with them right there in Kathmandu some 12 years ago! But what a scare about your fall. Sorry to hear about your ailments, you two. From Nepal to Bhutan -- some dramatic changes there. I'm sure you know what I mean. Enjoy Bhutan.
17th October 2012

We did struggle with issues in Nepal.
So far Bhutan is much better. Monkey's are unpredictable. Chat soon.
17th October 2012

Couldn't agree more....However...
I think things must have got worse since Kingy was overthrown and the Maoists took over. I was in Kathmandu on the day that Nepal became a republic and still have a Nepali newspaper as a keepsake, who knows...it might be worth something in 2000 years time ;) I remember Pokhara being nice and clean and Kathmandu slightly less so, but it seems that things have certainly gone downhill over the last few years, which is a shame. Merry Jo, I hope you bought Dave a nice big kukri knife so that in the future, he will be able to whip the caps off of his beer bottles (to the awe of everyone around him) with consummate ease? I was so taken by them that I ended up buying six!
18th October 2012

No knife
Nick, we didn't get a knife but now that we know what you use yours for I guess we should have. Yes, our friend who has been going to Kathmandu for 30 years confirms many things have changed in the past decade. We really liked Pokhara but Kathmandu didn't hold much interest for us and we were happy to leave.
18th October 2012
Buddha is looking at you

LOVED THIS BLOG
Dealt with many issues that I need to consider as we were planning to be in Katmandu for a special occasion in 2013. Very helpful thank you. The health issues may be associated with the prevalence of garbage...not a vista I enjoy. Keep well & bluesy.
18th October 2012
Buddha is looking at you

Informational
For a special occasion I would not select Kathmandu. A couple of days there to scurry around doing all the tourist sites (that are fairly clean)-- we can send you a list. I would spend the special occasion in Pokhara which is a much nicer town. We spent 7 nights in Kathmandu and saw more than we wanted. We recommend staying at the Kathmandu Guest house rather than where we stayed. We went over and looked at it and it looked nice. We talked to a couple of people who stayed there and they were happy. We are now in Bhutan and having a great time. A very nice country. Let us know if you want additional details.
19th October 2012

Oh Dear
Sounds like I won't put that on my list - I also heard bad reports form a freind who had been there 20 years ago and she was very dissapointed in the changes today. Good luck with your further travels. Lynne
19th October 2012

Hi Lynne,
Good hearing from you. Traveling many parts of Asia is wonderful and there are some lovely places in Nepal if you read some of our previous blogs. If you decide to travel to Nepal I would get in and out of Kathmandu quickly. Vietnam, Lao and Cambodia have a lot more to offer for my time and money unless you really want to see Mt. Everest or something specific in Nepal.

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 18; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb