Kathmandu: Sensory Overload


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu
October 17th 2010
Published: July 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our time in Kathmandu was split into 2 parts - pre-trek and post-trek. These photos are from both those experiences.

Before our trek, we visited Durbar Square, the Swayambhunath Temple, Boudhanath Stupa (Boudha Stupa), and Thamel. This was quite a shocking change from Dubai and took until we returned from the trek to complete wrap our heads around any of it. Not only are there interesting things to see everywhere you look, but there are cars and motorcycles coming AT you everywhere you look (and also everywhere you are not looking). We live in NYC and we've never been this worried about getting run over like we were in Kathmandu. I also might add that traffic patterns are frantic as there are no working street lights, no stop signs, and there are often cows walking in the roads.

Post trek was less touristic time and was most spent hang out with our friends from the trek and spending massive amounts of money in the Thamel shops buying souvenirs, knock off outdoor gear, and holiday gifts for family and friends.

Over all, Kathmandu was way too hectic for us to enjoy long term. However, it was probably one of the coolest cities we experienced purely b/c of the culture shock. It was our first foray in Asia as well as a Hindu culture. The temples and people and buildings were amazing and beautiful and shocking all at the same time. It was a good place to start.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0786s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb