Swayambhunath--Monkey Temple


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu
February 2nd 2008
Published: February 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Swayambhunath is one of the oldest religious sites in Nepal. It was erected by King Mānadeva in the 5th Century. The site is Buddhist, but it is a place of worship for Buddhists and Hindus, and many Hindu kings have paid their respects at Swayambhunath.

The structure consists of a solid dome supporting a cubical structure with Buddha's eyes looking in all four directions.

The dome represents the world and the open eyes represent the awakening of the followers of Buddha. Thirteen pinnacles on the top represent the thirteen stages of enlightenment. Above each pair of eyes is a third eye. When Buddha preaches, rays emanate from the third eye. Wicked beings cannot hear Buddha but the rays reduce their suffering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swayambhunath

It was a wonderful view and great to see so many happy monkeys. You had to watch or they would grab your possessions.

The (USA) Superbowl is tomorrow. Lets see, ... a bunch of men run around in tights grabbing each other's asses between plays. All while many of these same men, and others, are violently angry and vocal about other men who are not in the game and not wearing tights, but happily like to grab each other's asses.

Now, I am not Sigmund Freud, but if you are a man and you are honestly upset and vocalizing about all this happy ass grabbing going on between other men, you may want to consider contacting a mental health professional. Your anger is probably a reactive manifestation of your true desires, which remain latent. And, you are so dumb that your protestations may have outed you, and you are not even aware of it.

(My family and friends back home are going to think that the altitude is getting to me.)

So, I could sit in a dark smokey bar and watch a bunch of heathens yell at the television while all this ass grabbing is broadcast all over the world. Or, I can walk around Thamel with Kim, Kathleen, and Jennifer, and enjoy the sights and sounds of Kathmandu. Its a tough call, but I'll let you guess which one I do.

I lost almost all interest in sports during law school. I didn't have time to watch for a few years, and then when I tried to go back, it all seemed so stupid. I do still enjoy watching professional woman's tennis. There is no ass grabbing going on, but I just love how the woman look in short skirts. And, it has all the finesse and intrigue of other professional sports, without increasing the workload for the mental health professionals.

I'll let others watch the game and then go home and beat their wife because their team lost. Gee, I wonder if all their upset at their wife is related to their above mentioned latent desire?


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



5th March 2008

street Dogs of nepal
the SDON street dogs of Nepal Rescue feed the dogs at this stupa everyday. see www.streetdogsofnepal.com

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0201s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb