Down Old Town


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamel
May 28th 2016
Published: June 5th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Down (Old) Town
We used a walking route in our guide book to take us from Thamel to Durbar Square. We took in many Hindu temples including one dedicated to the God of Toothache. The route took us away from the backpackers haven of Thamel and showed us more of the authentic Kathmandu. The chowks (squares) were full of people selling fruit and veg, dried fish and spices and it was busy and noisy. Alleys of brass good and kitchen equipment stalls gave an Aladdin's cave effect.
At Durbar square we hired a guide to take us around the old Royal palace, some of which had been destroyed by the earthquake. The carvings were very intricate and Shiva and Kalli were prominent throughout.
It was time for a break afterwards and we found a coffee and cake shop at the end of Freak Street; famous for hippies it is now felt rather deserted.
To give our legs a rest, as well as to have a bit of fun, we hired three rickshaws to take us to Fire and Ice pizzeria. None of us understand how we didn't hit any pedestrians on route. Bob and Tom's rider was rather old and struggled to get them up a slight incline!
After some very good pizzas we did some shopping. Tom got a down black North Face jacket, Ed got a red North Face bag for senior school, Hat got a scarf and red shoes. We bought out bus tickets to Pokhara for tomorrow and it will be an early start.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb