Kathmandu - Swayambunath


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Swayambhunath
January 4th 2010
Published: January 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our next stop was Swayambunath temple complex which is also colloquially known as the "monkey temple". It was pretty amazing, and defintely another 'must see'. It is apparently Kathmandu's most important Buddhist shrine (not sure where Boudanath Stupa fits in the rating scale, beacuse it would also certainly seem to lay claim to this?).

Anyway, the temple is apparentlyaround 2000 years old. Its name means 'self created' . The legend goes that Kathmandu valley was once a great lake and a beautiful lotus grew in the center of the lake, and when the bodhisattva Manjusri drained the lake with a slash of his sword, this lotus flower settled on top of the hill and magically transformed into the stupa. Thus it is known as the Self-Created (swayambhu) Stupa.

Walking up gthe steps to the stupa and temple complex is a great experience. There's a few hundred steps that go nup to the top through a hillside full of trees. At the bottom of the stairway is a wonderful gate, with a huge Tibetan prayer wheel . (see pictures). Also around the gate are lots of smaller wheels.

We had a wonderful time walking around chatting to people, particularly
Swayanbunath: Scene 2Swayanbunath: Scene 2Swayanbunath: Scene 2

Pigeons swooping
a few monks monks having tea in a tiny cafe at the top...the proprietor was a lovely tibetan lady who we shared a few good laughs with.


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Swayanbunath: Scene 4Swayanbunath: Scene 4
Swayanbunath: Scene 4

The next generation of bonks - they wer having a lot of fun!
Swayanbunath: Scene 10Swayanbunath: Scene 10
Swayanbunath: Scene 10

Lady on the street below


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb