Elephants, and Rhinos, and Crocs! Oh, my!


Advertisement
Asia » Nepal » Chitwan
May 28th 2008
Published: June 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

That is at least my rendition of it. That would have been very cool to see some lions, and tigers, and bears, but there are no lions, and very few (Bengal) tigers, and (Sloth) bears remaining at the Chitwan National Park, as they have a problem with poachers. Regardless, in my relatively short stay in Chitwan, I got to see elephants, rhinos, crocodiles, deer, and peacocks, along with many other... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Me at the HelmMe at the Helm
Me at the Helm

I was taking the elephant right down the path, until...
Me at the HelmMe at the Helm
Me at the Helm

It decided to make a left turn, go down some steep slope, and then charge across the lake.
The Madness of Entering KathmanduThe Madness of Entering Kathmandu
The Madness of Entering Kathmandu

Amidst the dust blowing in the wind, there were cars, trucks, and buses going every direction possible. It was like trying to leave the Rose Bowl in January mixed with rush hour traffic. These buses were filled to the brim with people spewing out the windows onto the roof with the luggage and cargo and coughing out smoke like some 80-year old chain smoker every three seconds onto the "street surgeons" (aka the masked civilians). Then it hit me. Why the hell do I have my window open, but when I shut it I was reminded why by the 100 degree heat and the Nepali guy that was practically sitting on my lap. Luckily, it was a 6-hour bus ride and I was sitting above the back wheel so I lost about 8 inches of leg space and the girl in front of me decided to recline her seat and her recliner actually worked.
"Monkey Temple""Monkey Temple"
"Monkey Temple"

One of many at the "Monkey Temple." Santu informed me that he has seen many monkeys take cameras and food from unsuspecting wanderers. Luckily, I was not one of them even though I was hoping that I got to witness it.
KathmanduKathmandu
Kathmandu

View from the top of the "Monkey Temple."
KathmanduKathmandu
Kathmandu

View from the top of the "Monkey Temple."
Temple by the Old Royal PalaceTemple by the Old Royal Palace
Temple by the Old Royal Palace

Right by Durbar Square.
"Local Bus""Local Bus"
"Local Bus"

I thought cramming nine people, plus a driver, into a 5-person taxi one night in Newport was impressive, but we got 27 people in this and were still looking for more customers and we hadn't even begun to use the roof.



1st June 2008

Awesome!!!
Casey - you are capturing some great photos!!! Thanks for sharing them with us.
4th June 2008

worth a thousand words...
Love the pics Casey! especially the ones with you on the elephant! stay safe!!
20th June 2008

crazy rhinos
Your elephant was a badass! I like his style charging the lake like that. Looks like you are having some really amazing adventures!

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb