Bistari, bistari 2.0 - A second trip to Nepal - Chele to Syangboche


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Chele
March 21st 2013
Published: May 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Chele (3100m) to Syangboche (3800m)

WOW, WOW,WOW, WOW,WOW, WOW,WOW, WOW,WOW, WOW,WOW, WOW,WOW, WOW,WOW, WOW,WOW, WOW....

The walking today was amazing. Why?

1. Very steep downhill followed by very steep uphill leading to ....

2. Incredible soaring gorges and deep valley

3. Awesome swing bridge- probably the highest, most spectacular one to date

4. Some nice narrow paths and rocky ledges to negotiate

5. Utterly incredible views of the Upper Mustang, I can't impress enough how stunning it is (in a stark kind of way)

6. We lose the road (for a while)

7. I feel as though I am really trekking again

Got a few little patches of snow and a few mules, a lot of mud. No tourists. Pre-lunch we have an incredible discovery, one that will stay with us for some time..... the McVities digestive biscuit with jam - OMG- habit forming (as we will find out over the next 2 weeks). Lunch was at the Annapurna Teahouse in Samar, it is mentioned in the Lonely Planet, I can see why. It is run by women (sisters) and is sooooo clean, the toilet and bathroom were perfect! Stark contrast to last night. We decide that it will be a good stop on the way back down. We watch the noodles for our soup being handmade by the 13 yr old younger sister. We leave through the village gate, a tall terracotta and white structure with high decorative windows. Pass the 4 coloured chortens. The next 4 hours is spent steadily walking up and down slopes. Passed through Bhena (3830m), which was deserted, and Yamda La (4010m). Still no other tourists. It was getting chilly at this stage so we were looking forward to arriving in Syangboche (? aka Shangmochen). The last leg was all down hill and we were greeted by a little girl, cows, chooks, a big dog and the Belgians. The Dhauligiri Guest House was clean and comfortable. The teahouses all look quite similar in this region- white washed walls, angular, tall, flat rooves and wood stacked neatly around the perimeter of the roof. They also have bright splashes of colour in their doors or window frames and tibetan curtains. My collection of door and window photos grows in a worryingly exponential fashion. Our room is glorious- it is the most unique and colourful one we've had. I love it.

Over a thermos of hot tea we introduce the Belgians to an Aussie favourite- the humble Tim Tam. Fun facts- 1 in every 2 households contain a packet (probably almost empty) of Tim Tams and some 35 million packets are sold every year- 400 million Tim Tams can't be wrong. Want more info?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Tam

Having charmed the Belgians completely with our chocolate generosity we spend a nice evening chatting with them over dhal bat and a hot brazier.

Really great day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The incredible scen that awaited usThe incredible scen that awaited us
The incredible scen that awaited us

the bridge is visible in this shot



12th February 2014

good pics
yes they all the photos are looking very beautiful and these pics are describing us about the nepal cultures and trying to indicate about its completely culture.......... thank you for this Amarnath Yatra Cheapest Kashmir Package

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb