Day #68: Orkhon waterfall


Advertisement
Mongolia's flag
Asia » Mongolia » Orkhon Valley
June 15th 2013
Published: June 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After a couple of long days of driving we have arrived west of Ulanbaatar, where the scenery has become verdant and lush. However, there has been little rain this year and Orkhon waterfall was dry, although still spectacular. The place where we had lunch, next to a river where a couple of men were fishing in the sun and another in traditional dress rode by on horseback, was one of the most beautiful I have been, despite the atrocious road to get to it.

Yesterday we had lunch with a family who live in a house in a small town (by this stage, 9 days without a shower, I do not feel fit to be a guest in anyone's house).. On the television they were showing first American Idol (dubbed into Mongolian, apart from the actual singing) and then re-runs of the London 2012 Paralympics, for some reason. I was so absorbed I did not realise that in the time I was watching it the driver mended a puncture on the van.

We are staying with a family with 5 children, 4 older sisters and their baby brother, who is spoilt. The oldest girl is smart and capable and
was learning to ride a motorbike for the first time when we arrived (motorbikes are often used by nomads for herding animals, as well as for transport). They also have a family trick where they balance four of them on a small pushbike and ride around. The night was very cold but we were able to light a fire in our ger for warmth.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement




Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb