SCUBA Steve in the Maldives


Advertisement
Maldives' flag
Asia » Maldives » Ari Atoll
November 22nd 2016
Published: November 28th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Earlier in the month Kyle was focused on his bucket list item of running the NYC Marathon, but now he is focused on his dream SCUBA diving trip in the Maldives!

When we originally thought about traveling to India, the goal was just to find a good place for Kyle SCUBA dive, but after further research we realized it would not be too much extra effort to get him to a top notch diving destination by adding the Maldives to the end of the trip. And once we heard that Kyle had it on his bucket list, we could not resist!

So we showed up at Lily Beach in the Maldives with one goal: great SCUBA diving for Kyle. Kyle showed with an even more narrow goal: swim with whale sharks. (This is not to be confused with "whales and sharks" which is what dad and I kept saying much to Kyle's disgust.)

Luckily, we can report mission accomplished!

Over the course of his time diving with Pro Divers in the Maldives, Kyle completed 9 dives, achieved one of the steps toward being an advanced diver, had several night dives and had several close encounters with whale sharks.

As you may have noticed, Kyle rarely smiles. So when I met him on the dock after one of his dives and he was smiling so much I could actually see his teeth, I knew something big had happened.

In fact, something big happened right across Kyle's path. While he was diving, a 20 foot whale shark swam within 10 feet of Kyle! He ultimately saw 2 whale sharks that day.

On another dive he crossed paths with 4 manta rays that varied in span from 12 feet to 8 feet. Needless to say, that was considered a successful dive too.

He wanted to have more photos to post on the blog, but he had complications with his Go Pro camera and decided to just enjoy the moments rather than worry about taking photos.

We can now cross SCUBA diving in the Maldives off of Kyle's bucket list, but I won't be surprised if it shows up on his list of places to travel again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Manta RaysManta Rays
Manta Rays

This is a photo Kyle took with his underwater camera.


28th November 2016

November was a bad month for most of us, but it seems like Kyle is having the best month of his life!

Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 137; dbt: 0.1413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb