Port Kelang (Klang) for Kuala Lumpur


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia
April 14th 2014
Published: April 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

6thApril Port Kelang, Malaysia



We docked in Port Kelang (Klang) which is about 25 miles from Kuala Lumpur our destination for the day.



The Portuguese were the first Europeans to take an interest in what is now modern Malaysia, followed by the Dutch and it was not until the early 19th century that Britain became the dominant power with bases in Melaka, Penang & Singapore. Japan occupied the country during WWII (as they did Singapore) and further troubles in 1948 led to fighting involving British troops. In 1957, Malaya gained its independence from Britain. Malaysia is the world’s leading producer of rubber, tin, and palm oil. Tourism is big business with over 15 million visitors a year.



Our tour today was ‘A Glimpse of Kuala Lumpur’.



Kuala Lumpur is known as Malaysia’s ‘Garden City’ or ’Garden City of Lights’, with a population of about 1.3 million it is not only the capital city but is also the centre of the country’s political & commercial life.



The first stop was to the Kings Palace, Malaysia is a constitutional monarchy with one of the nine sultans being elected for five years by his fellow rulers. The Kings Palace is the official residence. There are landscaped gardens that surround the palace. There is meant to be a tranquil atmosphere (not when 20 coaches arrive there aint).



The National Monument designed by Felix De Weldon, who designed the Iwo Jima Memorial was the next stop. A huge bronze monument to pay tribute to soldiers who gave their lives during the communist insurgency in the 1950’s. There also plaques of regiments who fought during these conflicts including the SAS & Ghurkhas.



It was then on to Independence Square, past the National Mosque (Masjid Megara) which resembles a partly opened umbrella and the railway station. Few countries can boast that the railway station is an attraction, but it is a flamboyant Moorish style building with domes, spires arches and cupolas. The Square is the former playing field of the Royal Selangar Club (there is still a cricket pitch), and is where the British flag was lowered and the Malaysian flag raised in 1957. Across the road is the Sultan Abdul Samad building which houses the Supreme & High courts. Is clock tower has been dubbed ‘Big Ben’.



Our final stop was the Petronas twin towers (photo stop only). World’s tallest building until 2003 – Enough said.



A good overview of the city in a few hours and would be good to call as a stopover on a flight maybe back to Australia or New Zealand.





Next stop Penang, Malaysia


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb