Malaysia and Singapore


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia
October 20th 2011
Published: October 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Twenty two hours on a train!! Longest journey on a train, ever....so far!! Fairly uneventful – we were sat with a large Thai family and passed the afternoon looking at the scenery etc. We were sleeping in the upstairs bunks, so after the beds were made up by the ‘bed man’ at about 19.00, everyone settled down to sleep by about 20.00 pm!! Early night t!! Early morning also as everyone was up at about 06.00am!! Bright sunny day again and apart from having to get off the train at Pedang Besar with our luggage, go through customs and then get back on the same train again, just relaxed, read books, sorted photos, watched scenery and ate food!!
The train arrived about an hour or so late, (or it could have been an hours time change!) and we got off at the small station and followed the signs to the ferry up across the bridge. Half hours ferry took us to Georgetown and then 5 minute taxi drive to the hotel (Bayview Hotel) arriving about 3.30pm ish. After a quick shower had a wander along the broken path along the bay front to Cornwallis fort and a Victorian 60ft clocktower, built in 1897 and commemorating Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee. Cut into the old town, past quite a few old colonial buildings, for which the town is renowned for and wandered into Little India where the Indian Community were celebrating Deepavali. Loads of stalls selling food, clothes, bracelets and a lovely local festival atmosphere, with people visiting all the local temples. Stopped for something to eat on the way back to the hotel and then had a couple of (expensive!) drinks in the revolving restaurant, and watched the lightening in the sky with views of Georgetown and the surrounding hills and sea.
The next day was bright and sunny again so had a re-wander around Georgetown following the heritage route and seeing all the temples, mosques and churches. First we visited a Chinese mansion and then went to a wonderful Chinese temple that explained how the Chinese community had arrived in the 17th C and were involved in the spice trade and the Chinese community was built around the temple. The descendents of Khoo Konsi still run a board of trustees for the welfare of the descendents. The English were colonised by Captain Francis Light in about 1750 and there is a commemorative building in the grounds of the Church. The whole old town is also full of old colonial buildings and the decorated rickshaws and wide boulevard complete the ambience of the town!
Decided to get the 204 bus to Kek Lok Si Temple, passing the State Mosque on the way. Construction of the Kek Lok Si Temple began in 1890 with the completion of the seven tiered Pagoda, containing 10,000 Buddhas completed in 1930. The whole complex is enormous, with wonderful views of Georgetown from the top of the Pagoda. There is also a bronze statue completed in 2002, with the surrounding structure still under construction but we were able to get up to the statue by a funicular railway! Got back on the 204 bus after waiting for ½ hour, (we could have walked for 20mins instead but didn’t realise it was so close!!) and went to the Fenicular Railway that went up to Penang Hill, an old English Hill Station 830 metres above sea level. An amazing ride up the near perpendicular funicular railway, at speed! Took about 20mins to reach the top, which apart from the spectacular views over the island and back to Butterworth was disappointing! A mosque, a hotel where reputedly Queen Elizabeth stayed, a bird and ginger garden that were shut and a food hall! Took the railway back down (even more thrilling as we sat in the front carriage – Chris has the video!!) and then the 204 bus back to the hotel.
At the back of the hotel are a lot of bars/restaurants so we just had a meal there (watching the storm clouds gather!) before getting a taxi to the Port and the ferry back to Butterworth. The storm broke whilst we were on the ferry with torrential rain, lightening and thunder, but fortunately the walk to the train station was under cover and we didn’t get too wet! Boarded the train at 10.30pm – we had decided to ‘experience’ first class on Malaysian trains and were treated to our own cabin with bunk beds, toilet, shower, washbasin and even a TV! Most people go to Kuala Lumpur by bus as its a lot quicker but we were happy with our slow, smooth tain!
Had a good night sleep but the train was late arriving in Kuala Lumpur, so after we had left the station and found the monorail station (which is signposted out of the back of the station and about a 200metre walk through a building site, caught the jam packed monorail to Raja Chulan and then, with the help of many people, walked a 15 minute walk through a concrete jungle to our hotel (Impiana) it was about 08.45! Fortunately we were able to check in early and have a shower!
We decided to have a relatively easy day, and after walking 5 mins to the Petronas Twin Towers we caught the Hop On Hop Off bus, only we didn’t hop off for about 2 hours!! Had lunch at Titiwangsa Lake and had a look at the Palace of Culture, took photos at the 10 minute stop at the National Palace and watched the changing of the Guard (two horses left & two new ones arrived!!). Had a 5 minute bus stop at Independence Square, which used to be the British cricket green, and where , in front of the Sultan Abdul Samad building, the Malayan flag was first hoisted on 31st Aug 1957 by Tunku Abdul Raman and then hopped off again at the Kuala Lumpur Tower where we had a wander around but didn’t go up. Caught the bus back to the hotel and then went out for an Italian meal in the evening.
The next morning we caught the Hop on Bus and hopped off at Chinatown! Bought a new rucksack bag as other one on its last legs and then went to the Lake Botanical garden. Wandered around the lake enjoying the sunshine with rumbles of thunder in the distance and found the deer park with mouse deer, fallow deer and spotted deer. We then visited the Bird Garden in the afternoon, which is supposed to be the worlds largest free flight walk- in aviary. It was quite impressive seeing all the different birds flying about and feeding and most of the nets were so high that you forgot it was an aviary.! Started watching the bird show at 3.30pm and the heavens opened (bird show was quickly abandoned!!) so we sheltered for ½ hour before getting the Monorail back to the hotel, where we stayed in the lobby until taxi time to the station for 23.00 train to Singapore!
The train was an old train! It rattled and shook like an old wooden rollercoaster and hurtled its way to Singapore in record time with not much sleep! We were ‘awaken’ by the guard at 05.30 with a bun and a cup of tea/coffee/milo (couldn’t quite distinguish what it was!!) ready for the Customs official to look at our passports at 06.00am so that we could enter Singapore 10 minutes later!
We were a bit undecided what to do as we had our luggage, and in the end the taxi driver (who I think was after a good morning fare!) suggested he took us to the airport where we could store our luggage. Duly stored, we then got the train back into central Singapore to have a walk around the marina in the sunshine. Quite an impressive skyline, especially with the Sands Hotel and after visiting Raffles and having a Singapore Sling (Gotta be done – although Chris thought the price was in Malaysian Ringgits and not Singapore Dollars!!) we got tickets to go to the roof garden and viewing platform on 57th floor and have a look at the amazing infinity pool and Jacuzzis overlooking the skyline !!
The thunderstorm started shortly afterwards but we were able to make our way back to the train station in the dry as there is a whole web of a city living underground in air conditioning and dry! Half hour easy journey back to the airport and after checking luggage in waited for our flight to Darwin at 22.10pm. Next stop Oz!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

Malaysia 001Malaysia 001
Malaysia 001

Train at Butterworth
Malaysia 002Malaysia 002
Malaysia 002

Map of Penang Island
Malaysia 010Malaysia 010
Malaysia 010

Indian Festival at Georgetown


26th October 2011

Tired?
I bet that you are exhausted! All that train travelling and countries visited! Still Australia should be a little easier - hopefully. Glad all of your travel plans went according to plan and that you got to your flight on time - I know that was the bit that worried you the most! time is moving on and it is only 6 weeks until we go!! Ahh! take care and see you soon xx

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb