Day 08 - Cameron Highlands


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia
September 10th 2010
Published: September 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We left the hotel at 8:45am and got into a truck which had 2 benches down the sides, it had a roof, but the sides and back were open. We set off for around an hour on a normal road - freezing! We then went onto a mud path which was pretty precarious and extremely bumpy, throwing us all over the place - were were clinging to the wire cage above us.

We arrived at the rainforest next to the Cameron Highlands and set off on our trek. It was quite difficult and slippery, it involved lots of up hill, climbing over things, crossing streams without bridges and climbing down things - there were no proper paths. When we eventually reached the top I was extremely sweaty (the rainforest was very humid) and worn out. Here we saw two of the worlds largest flowers. Also at the top one of the local guides chopped bamboo which had water inside which was clean and we drank this which was pretty cool.

We then had to walk back (approx 1 hour 15 up and 1 hour 15 back) on the track that had become even more slippery. When trying to cross a stream I fell in and got soaked! Eventually I made it back to the truck - tired, worn out and starving.

Next we drove back down the muddy track, clinging on again, and drove to an aboringinal village. Here we had a blow pipe demo and I tried blowing the pipe. We then wandered around the village which was tiny. This was very eye opening, the houses were made from pretty much just wood. Amazing to see people living like this.

Next was a long drive up to the tea plantation, here we just had lunch as the factory was closed. In Malaysia today is a public holiday as it is the end of Ramadan.

After this we went to Mossey Forest, the highest point in the Cameron Highlands (1800m - where we were staying was 1500m) some lovely views of Cameron Highlands from here.

Lastly was a trip to the strawberry farm, I was absoluetly drained by this point so had a strawberry milkshake and then was very much ready to go back to the hotel for a much needed shower.

The drive back was pretty interesting. There was a huge traffic jam so the driver drove on the wrong side of the road and the hard shoulder to get around the traffic - many cars were doing this. I wasn't complaining as it got us home much quicker.

After a much needed shower, we went for dinner and then had drinks until 3am, really not a good idea when we were leaving at 7am the next day! But a lot of fun.

Overal a physically challenging and tiring day - but something I am glad I have done, even if I wasn't loving it at times (like when I was in the stream)! Glad I've done it, but won't be doing it again anytime soon.



Advertisement



13th September 2010

This day sounds like the sort of day where me and you would be straggling at the back and both end up in the stream :) Sounds amazing hun! keep us posted! xxx
14th September 2010

I was completely straggling at the back! It was so hard and I am not fit enough!

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb