Kuala Lumpur is hot!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia
April 24th 2009
Published: April 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After a great couple of days spent with Devin and Jane, Jerry and I boarded our flight with Air China for the beginning of our trip. For the next 6 - 8 weeks we'll be spending time in mainland Malaysia, Sarawak and Sabah. The flight was smooth and surprisingly comfortable - we had actually been dreading it as both are suffering from some degree of back pain. We overnighted at a golf course resort on the island of Taiwan. I think that we were virtually the only guests. On the half hour drive to the resort I realised how much living in China had been part of our life - we felt very comfortable in the rural surrounds of the rice paddies. We actually could have been back in Guangshui - the area around the hotel was a cleaner version of it!
Next morning we had an early start as our plane left at 8.30am. The flight was over before we knew it and after clearing customs we grabbed our bags and hired a taxi from the airport booth for 67RM. It was an hours drive into the city and quite a spectacular one - the gardens beside the roads are lush and very clean. There is a lot of development between the inner city and the airport as the Government has moved their offices and all attached housing to a new satellite town. The taxi dropped us near our hotel - it couldn't get any closer as our hotel (D'Oriental) was in the middle of the main market in Chinatown, and the street was swarming with people and dozens of stalls. It got noisier and busier as the day went on. Though booking our hotel weeks ago and requesting a quiet room we were shown a room opposite the lift and over the market - probably the noisiest in the hotel. Knowing not to pay until you've seen the room we were soon moved to a peaceful area at the back of the hotel. The rest of the day was spent quietly in airconditioning. Next morning after a decent hotel breakfast we hired a taxi to take us to the Petronas Towers. Usually when we travel we walk everywhere but this time because of my sore foot we are hiring taxis to get to the sights. We should have done it before as the taxi charges, with the metre, (no
Hibiscus Street LightHibiscus Street LightHibiscus Street Light

The hibiscus is the national flower of Malaysia
metre = no trip) is costing no more than $4 AUD. Taxi drivers have a hard life here as most seem to work 16-18 hour days. They must make 200 MR before they cover the lease and petrol costs and they all say it takes 12 hours a day to make that - the other 6 hours earnings is what they live on.
The Petronas Twin Towers is impressive, as is the park which surrounds it. We had been there before but this time wanted to go on the skybridge between the two towers. Tickets are usually hard to get but tourism is definetly not booming here as all the sights so far have been very quiet, so we were able to get tickets for the middle of the day. I spent the morning wandering in the cool of the craft and art galleries on the top floor whilst Jerry wandered around the park. I visited the Petronas Gallery and saw a art display by a Malaysian born artist called Eng Tay (you would love his work Robyn) - I decided I could see enough of the park from the top floor airconditioning. It is very humid here! It was great to walk across the bridge (we were allowed 10 minutes only - but there is no charge) but as it was only on the 41st floor not overly high.
That afternoon we spent wandering in the Golden Triangle where I had great though painful reflexology session - great only because my foot does feel less sore today. We ate that evening in a food hall in a supermarket across the road from the mall - cheap, clean, quiet and tasty! We had two courses plus drinks for under $12. We wandered the streets after dinner for a while and discovered the Central Market. Jerry paid 5RM for a fish spa - you put your feet in a wading pool full of fish and they eat all the dead skin off! I don't think I have ever heard Jerry laugh so much before - it was obviously very ticklish. It was so funny and I hope to get him back there again before we leave. I would love a photo of him there!
The hotel room is small but the beds are very comfortable and it's great to crawl into them at night. This morning we caught a taxi
Indian temple flowersIndian temple flowersIndian temple flowers

Everywhere in Little India there are people threading flowers by hand to make these garlands.
and spent a very enjoyable morning at the beautiful Islamic Arts Museum. A very impressive building with a fascinating display of Islamic fabrics, jewellery, furniture and many amazing gold embossed Korans. The collection has items from all the various Muslim countries around the world and over the centuries. Well worth a visit!
Next day (25th April)
Last night we decided to do a walking tour of the area which meant that we got totally lost and didn't see anything we were meant to see but a lot of other interesting street life. Chinatown borders Little India so it was fascinating to see the cultural differences in close proximity. This morning we headed off to check out the monorail and train system as we'll use that over the next couple of days. We discovered the monorail station at the end of our street and it is cool and quick to travel on. Tonight we plan on going to the Malaysian area and the evening markets there.

Advertisement



25th April 2009

Great Narrative!!
So glad you included us in the blog. We are looking forward to each entry. Ann xx
30th April 2009

Jealous
Will be eagerly waiting for each post. Enjoy!

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0309s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb