Kota Kinabalu - One last party in Sabah


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia
August 31st 2007
Published: September 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Celebration in KKCelebration in KKCelebration in KK

Part of the of Malaysias 50 years of Independence Celebration - a big concert and party in the park
The jungle noises seem far away as I fall asleep in KK, the sounds of cricket and frogs are now replaced by the typical noise of the city oh and the odd firework going off at midnight as Malaysia celebrates 50 years of independence.

I hadn't realised until I arrived in KK with my traveling companion, Silke (who I first met diving in Sipadan), that Malaysia was celebrating 50 years of Independence and this was to meant big parades and parties in the park.

For the fireworks I had to jump out of bed, hastily dress and run down the street to get to the park in time to see the finale and the chaos that was the street afterwards as people made there way home and gridlock struck at 1am!

The two days spend in KK before I head off to Mulu to climb the limestone Pinnacles has been spent with parades and concerts but sadly I fly out on the day that the biggest parade occurs. Bad timing that I could kick myself for but as the time remaining on my visa ebbs away and there is still more of Borneo I wish to see so it is time to move on.

Whilst in KK had an interesting encounter with the police too - having been trying to seek permission to send some stuff back to the UK I had to get a letter from the police. Having arrived at a local police station and been told I needed to go to headquarters I was given a lift by one of the police. Within a few minutes I was propositioned - with a polite but firm No Thank you I counted down the miles to the the HQ and jumped out of the car very quickly, virtue intact! Lesson learnt - Police are not the same world over and in countries where the pay is not that great then don't expect the police to be too!

So this is my last time in KK and in Sabah come to that (for now anyway), next stop is Mulu in Sarawak where hopefully I will successfully climb the limestone Pinnacles there.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Silke and MeSilke and Me
Silke and Me

Travelled with Silke from Semporna but in KK we part company as we head in different direction


Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 103; dbt: 0.09s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb