Kuala Lumpur to Penang


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia
January 30th 2007
Published: February 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Kuala LumpurKuala LumpurKuala Lumpur

James mid navigation.
So...

After overnighting on the train from Singapore, we arrived in Kuala Lumpur reasonably fresh and ready. Took a taxi from the train station to the highly recommended Number Eight hostel. Really nice boutique style hostel in a decent central location. What more could you ask for?

Went on a mission to the central market area and Merdeka Square, which is a preened procession/ festival area and gardens. Went to a typical tourist market and bought some typical tourist tat, then went to the Lake Gardens, which would have been lovely had they not been in the middle of renevations so everywhere was like a building site.

Mastered the public transport systems (Skytrain, Underground and Light Rail all together confusingly), and hit the bars for a few beers. Quite pricey though, was n't sure how I was going to survive. This was closely followed by the worst meal we have had on our travels so far... plate of noodles and scrapings of leftover beef drowned in 3 gallons of Oyster Sauce. Lovely.

Had in mind to go to the public holiday celebrations the following day, but a slight misunderstanding meant it had finished by the time we
Georgetown Penang HillGeorgetown Penang HillGeorgetown Penang Hill

Took a "cablecar" up a hill, nice views of an otherwise grimy city.
got our act together, so we did nt really do much for the rest of the day, and indeed our time in Kuala Lumpur (apart from a cheap haircut for Karen, and cheaply posting some stuff back to the UK - takes 3 months).

Had our flight booked to Penang the next day, which passed without incedent, and then found ourselves in another massive, sprawling, chaotic city - Georgetown, Penang. When what we really wanted was a nice white beach, and green sea! So headed outta there for the beaches up the coast at Batu Ferringhi. Ha! Supposedly the Pearl of the Orient. More like the Skip of the Orient! Up and down the beach, is an obstacle course of flip-flops, used lighters, coconuts, branches, bins and other assorted plastic rubbish. On top of a “flithy sea” (Rough Guide quote) did nt make for the most enjoyable beach leisure. Wanted to get straight out of there, but due to a number of unforseen mishaps, we had to stay put 5 days! Oh well, you win some you lose some! Booked our ticket for a mini-bus trip up to Thailand. Not too sure where abouts, but we'll find somewhere!!
GeorgetownGeorgetownGeorgetown

Old Colonial building from when the Brits rules the world! Ah! The good old days!

Did want to go to the east coast of Malaysia, but due to it being monsoon season, thought better of it...



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Batu Ferringhi - PenangBatu Ferringhi - Penang
Batu Ferringhi - Penang

James watching his first football match of 2007 with Karen...
Batu Ferringhi - PenangBatu Ferringhi - Penang
Batu Ferringhi - Penang

Looks great from a distance, up close and personal its a different story. Lovely sunset though


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb