Kuala Lumpur & Singapore


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
April 8th 2011
Published: August 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

KL - Singapore


8th

Our bus left an hour late this morning so the 7am start was pointless, but we wern't complaining as the coach had huge sofa like seats that reclined into a bed bascially, so we slept off our early start. A bit of a booking error meant we ended up in some random bus station outside of KL, so we hopped on a public bus and after a very sweaty 45 minute walk we were there and ready for a shower.
Our hostel is minutes from the monorail and situated behind a huge shopping centre so quite handy.
Once we were sorted we went to KL tower, this is the worlds 4th highest tower at 421 metres high, and between 3 and 5:30 they do tea and cakes in the revolving restaurant. Whilst we sat we saw a full 360 degree view of KL including the petronas twin towers, the worlds 2nd highest building, unfotunately the awe of these towers was ruined by kim asking if the empire state building was higher, oh dear.
After cake and tea we walked along to the twin towers, below them is a huge mall with hundreds of shops and restaurants, it's possibly the biggest mall ive seen.
Kim wanted a curry for tea so we got the monorail to little india, instead of curry we somehow ended up with a kebab, naan and dips. Translation issues we think, it was still good but they tried to rip us off with the price but either way it was only like 20 pence.
After a long day we decided it was time for bed although the dorm was stinking hot and made for a very uncomfortable night.




9th

whilst at the mall yesterday we had bought Formula 1 tickets so today we were off to practice and qualifying. The circuit is quite a journey from KL but luckily the buses are cool and sort of comfy.
We are sat on the covered hill section and have a great view of 5 corners, the sound they create is immense, something i wasn't expecting but it were great. We bumped into a friend that we'd travelled asia with and found he'd paid almost double for the same tickets as us, that made me feel better about convincing kim to come. The traffic after was shocking and it took 3 hours to do the previous 45 minute journey, people were so fed up they were flying down the hard shoulder and some even went into the banks at the side of the road.




10th

We went shopping before the race today, Chinatown has one of the biggest markets in KL so we stopped off there for a few souveneirs. The market was huge and indoors, you could of spent hours wandering around all the little shops and stalls but luckily for me i got to drag kim away to the F1. Where we were the previous day was now rammed full and with rain expected we were lucky to get a seat under the cover. The race was brilliant we saw some overtaking and even a car with no back tyre, although the big screen was still to small too see what was happening so we had no clue as to who was winning and who'd retired. ah well was still fun. the journey home took even longer than the previous day which wasa worry as we had to catch our bus to Singapore! We couldn't of been that much in a rush as we still managed to stop for ice cream in our rush to catch the monorail back to the hostel. Once again we had huge comfy seats that massaged you. mmm.




11th

Well the bus arrived at 3:30 am, far earlier than expected and we had nowhere to sleep. So there was only one thing that we could do, taxi it to the hostel we had for the next night and beg them to let us stay there. Luckily there was someone there and they let us sleep on some bean bags in the corner, so grateful!
breakfast was busy so we got up and made our escape to look for somehwere to get our own brekkie. burger king was the closest thing we could find so we sat in and waited till check in.
We showered and got straight back out to explore the area, there's not much but little markets dotted everywhere and they mostly sell clothes.
That night we went to the night safari, it's really cool. Most animals hardly sleep so pretty much everything is classed as nocturnal we saw some cool animals that we've never heard of before such as a toddy cat and slow loris. The highlight for me was definately the 3 rhino's that they have. We saw the creatures of the night show which was pretty funny, they had otters recycling cans and boxes but the little one couldn't reach the bin so it basically juggled a can for 10 minutes before the keeper put it in the bin for it.
We got home at 11:30 and we were absolutely nacked, kim fell asleep on the coach home and it's lucky i didn't or we'd of missed our stop.




12th

We went on a city scooter tour today. Our first stop was at a chinese shop that sold paper models of everything you could imagine; clothes, razors ,ipads, homes, jets, trains, swimming pools and cars. The idea behind them is that on the anniversary of a relatives death the family buy such objects and burn them, the dead relative then receives whatever you have burned in the afterlife and they can lead a good life with billions of dollars, a mach 3 razor, a ferrari and a mansion with 3 swimming pools.
Next was a temple where you took a pot of sticks and shook them until 1 stick fell out, you then threw 2 crescents in the air and if they landed the right way the gods were happy, if they landed any other way you repeated the stick process, kind of like cheating i reckon.
I got a good prediction;

On the 1st day of the month, the moon is merely a thin strip. On the 15th day, it becomes round and bright.


It means that God is looking after my family and what ever i try to do will happen and i am a lucky person and i'm well looked after (all good so far), money will come my way (even better) and my first child will be a girl (ah, suppose thats ok).
After the temple we visited a few more sites including world famous Raffles hotel for a singapore sling, damn tasty, another thing about this bar is that they give you unlimited peanuts that you eat and throw on the floor, well we didnt know this and put all ours on the table until a waitress gave us a funny look and wiped them all on the floor. Although the cocktail was 15 quid each it was worth it (i've still got the receipt.
Later today we fly to Australia.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb