Travelling to Kuala Lumpur


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
September 19th 2008
Published: September 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We had our flight booked to Kuala Lumpur today at 12.50pm through Air Asia, Malaysias budget airline. We had booked a taxi to the airport at half past ten which arrived promptly and we headed over to Krabi International Airport. The airport seemed quite reasonable compared to other small international airports and so we were eager to get through immigration and into the departure lounge shops and restaurants that surely awaited us. How wrong we were! There is nothing the other side of immigration, not even a cafe! For anyone travelling via Krabi please do not go through immigration until you are absolutely ready. We had had no lunch and were now sitting in a huge departure lounge with nothing but a water fountain dispensing paper cups that were litterally paper, the type that saturates when in contact with water! Still, realising there was nothing we could do we sat back and watched helicopters and aircraft land and take off through the large glass windows.

When we were called we boarded our Air Asia Jet and were told we could sit anywhere. It was like a walk on bus service, one that was very empty, perhaps only half the seats were filled, possibly less! We could also order any food we wanted from the magazine provided which was pleasing. The actual aircraft itself was well fitted with leather seats for everyone. The flight on the other hand was not so great. For some reason you could feel so many bumps and shakes that it had me quivering in my seat which I don't think was having a good effect on the other passengers confidence levels! Still the landing, although an almighty thud, went smoothly and pleased to be back on the ground we both exited into the Kuala Lumpur (KL).

After an age in immigration and a expensive taxi journey (10 pounds fixed price, the airport is 1hr away from town) we arrived in the Backpacker region of China Town, Kuala Lumpur. A local guided us to his hostel where we checked into a fan room, the size of a double bed with communal toilet and cold shower. We only paid five pounds per night for this accomodation and it was full of other travellers which is always a good thing. The hostel even had a roof top where we could see the Petronas twin towers and all around the city. There was even a floor with communal satellite tv, kitchen, lounge and internet!

After exploring the hostel we took to the streets of China Town and explored the immediate vicinity, stumbling across a tourist office in a nice hotel. Here we discussed our options for excursions into Taman Negara before going away to think about them over dinner. Dinner itself was at Nandos, my favourite eatery from the UK but at half the price! (Dad the usual half chicken, chips, garlic bread and unlimited sprite was only 5 pounds!).

Feeling full we walked back through the Night Market and then back to the hostel where we collapsed for the night. Rachael had planned a busy next day so we both thought a good nights sleep would be sensible (not without getting a night time view from the roof of the hostel, amazing!).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb