"The Towers, The Towers - Rapunzel!"


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
October 8th 2007
Published: October 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 196 (07.10.07)

We packed up and said goodbye to Daniel's Lodge before making our way down to the bus station. What was supposed to be a 4 hour journey ended up more like 6 hours as we wound our way towards Kuala Lumpur thorugh wooded hills and lovely scenery. We eventaully arrived in the capital and followed James (from the moto day) across town to a place he'd stayed on his last visit to KL.

We checked into the Hostel Cosmopolitan, a great little place, and went straight back out in search of some food to settle our rumbly tums. On our walk we caught our first glimpse of the Petronas Towers the iconic KL sight. We'd wnated to be able to explore a little more today but with the long bus journey and the fact that it was raining quite heavily we decided to head back to our hostel for a cuppa and a film. The common room is small and comfy and we almost felt like we could have been sat at home.

Day 197 (08.10.07)

After 6 months of wearing the same clothes day in day out we were in need of some new togs and set out today to replace what no longer fit us or was no longer in a fit state to wear in public! We nipped about town on the excellent and pretty cheap monorail and trawled several shopping malls managing to buy a few new bits and bobs to keep us going. Feeling shppoing fatigue setting in we headed back to the hostel for a cuppa and what we felt was a well deserved break.

Feeling recharged we got back on the monorail and went over to the Petronas Towers to see what it looked like all lit up and pretty at night. We sat in the park next to the Towers and watched as the daylight disappeared and the building's lights went on - a fantastic sight.

Day 198 (09.10.07)

The Petrona Towrsw are free to vist but they only let a certain amount of poeple up per day wso you have to get there early to get your ticket and then an allotted timeslot - very organised! Somehow Mark had manged to turn our alarm off during the night but we still managed to wake up in time to get to the towers for about 9am. We were given the 11.30 time slot so had a couple of hours to kill.

We walked over to the park which contains the other famous tower in KL, the KL Tower (aptly named we feel). We then walked back to play with some of the settingsa on our camera and begin to discover some of it's capabilites. We had a quick paddle in the park and then set off for our visit to the skybridge (between the two towers).

The visit (which runs something like a school trip) starts with some time to look at the exhibtion about the towers. You then get your call to go thorugh to the main event and are given a colured tag and a pair of stylish 3D glasses for the introductory filmshow. In your colour groups you are then herded thorugh the security checks and up in the lift to the 40 something floor and the skybridge for your allotted 10minutes of city viewing. The view was excellent and well worth making the visit for but the whole experience was a little regimented!

We got the monorail acorss town to Chinatwon and the Indepence Square area to viewc various cool buildings and (reportedly) the tallest flagpole in the world which was raised when Malaysia was given its Independence 50 years ago.

A short trip into the market area led to us buying the whole 3rd series of Lost - don't know how it happened! They wouldn't let us have just the second half (as we'd already bought and watched the first half in Vietnam) so we now have the first half twice - anyone want it?! Back at the hostel we had to try and fill the time until our night train to Singapore so what were we to do but watch a few episodes of our favourite show with a couple of brews!

Late in the evening we caught the night train to Singapore, a comfy sleeper made a little cramped by the fact that there was nowhere to put our bags except on our beds.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

In the queueIn the queue
In the queue

Waiting for a ticket to go to the skybridge of the Petronas Towers


Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.1758s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb