Kuala Lumpur


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
February 21st 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We decided to catch a bus to Kuala Lumpar and were up early to make our way to one of the bus depots. The bus was an amazing contrast to the rust buckets we had been rattling around the rest of Asia in and the journey which is relatively short (About 5 hours) flew by.

Just as we hopped off the bus in downtown KL the heavens opened and we had to run for cover (These Asian rain storms are not to be messed with). We grabbed a train to the very stylish monorail (The Simpsons Monorail tune became the theme song for KL) and were at our hostel in no time. After a bite to eat we decided that as we had limited time in KL we might as well go sightseeing straight away.

We took the monorail to the Menara Communications tower (The 5th tallest in the world - Now for ye) and although we could see the tower as we walked we couldn't find anyway to get in. After doing a fulll lap of the tower and park that surrounds it we ended up on the other side of our monorail stop and the entrance to the tower (Story of our lives).

Luckily though the time we wasted wandering meant we got to see the amazing views from the tower in daylight and then at night which was great. After getting the moneyshot i.e. The Petronas towers (Which are absolutely amazing) we headed over to the towers themselves and visited its massive shopping centre. After that we headed home after a very long day.

We got up early the next day and headed into the city centre to Dataran Merdeka (Independence Square). This is where the Union Jack was lowered and repaced with the Malaysian flag in 1957. After a quick wander around the square which contains the biggest flag in Malaysia (Don't know what it is with Asian country's and giant flags) we visited the national musuem on the square which gave an account of Malaysia since day one.

To finish off the day we visited Time Square shopping centre. With 1,000 plus shops and a full theme park in the middle it makes Dundrum look like the arcade in Sligo. After wandering around looking at all the gadgets we can't afford we headed back to the hostel and got an early night.

Next Stop Medan...




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 78; dbt: 0.1067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb