Final Day


Advertisement
Published: December 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Final 2 days in Kuala Lumpur - visited the BATU caves via a tour operator - it turned out this included a visit to a Pewter factory (very interesting) and a BATIK factory (where the staff looked bored and we were even more bored).

The caves are entered via a steep staircase (i think it has 280 steps) where monkeys sit on the steps looking for food from tourists/devotees, the guide warned us not to feed the monkeys as you were likley to be mobbed when they found out food was being handed out, he also warned against having loose dangling items like cameras etc as these had been grabbed by the monkeys - overall he put the fear of god into us and convinced everyone the monkeys were the equivelent of Fagins thieving gang who showed no mercy to the unsuspecting tourist.

So this meant that when we climbed the steps we looked down (don't catch their eye), if a monkey was on a step waited until it moved - this usually didn't take long but it was 30C so quite warm and humid (it is the monsoon season in Kuala Lumpur). it was woth it however - the cave is huge with religous statues on various ledges and a temple built in the cave. We did get bit quite bad by mosquitoes but at least the Monkeys left us alone!

The final day - we went to petronas tower but could not get tickets (we were late getting there) - it seemed a bit of an anti-climax as we did not have a room to go back to (the taxi to take us to the airport picked us up at 19:55) so it was the shopping centre - to kill time we went to the cinema - only film available in the times we wanted - Arthur Christmas in 3D - not too bad but really a childrens film.

Back to the hotel - an evening meal, change in the toilets and sit and wait for the Taxi, whilst waiting staff kept on asking who we were and what we were waiting for - we had seen the red carpet being put down and so asked who was coming - it turns out it was a member of the royal family - hence the questions why we were sat in the lobby dressed in combat jacket and suitcases by our side. All was OK we got picked up before the royalty arrived.

Flight back was overnight and we managed to get some sleep.

Overall - an excellent holiday - we would choose Singapore rather than Kuala Lumpur next time for a stop over.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb