Mild Malaysia

Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur » China Town
February 19th 2014
Published: February 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

When you are full of free time, you stretch your time to decide minor things like should you take a day or night train from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur (KL)? How does it matter? Anyhow, after much deliberation and a long list of pros and cons, I finally decided that the morning train suited me so that I can feed breakfast to my fishes and look at the scenery. Next morning, I took Singapore MRT (Mass Rapid Transmit), to reach Marsiling station. Then bus 856 to Woodlands train station. After formalities, I sat in second class chair cart. The train left the city and I saw greenery and more greenery. There was hardly a soul around, no villages, ponds - nothing.I went off to sleep. It just happened that the cost of the day ticket was also the same as the night!

I reached KL and wandered around Chinatown to check the hostels I had shortlisted. There were no good. On the way, I saw a nice one named Explorers. The ambience was too good. I was only getting a mixed dorm. I remembered how shocked I was to hear about mixed dorms when I was back packing 11 years back in Spain. This time, I decided to give it a try. The mixed dorm was on the third floor with 3 bunk beds, clean white linen and a bulb. The bathrooms were clean. The room had no window but the air conditioner was working perfectly and the room had a pleasant feel.

In the evening, I wandered around Chinatown. I was craving for home made food and loved the hot naan at one of the Indian roadside stalls. Back in the hostel, met a young lady from Netherlands going over to Manila for volunteering. She had saved money over the past one year to do this. I loved her dedication. I put ear plugs and slept soundly. The time was around 9.30. I got up to see my watch turning 12.34. Oh dear! there was the whole night left. I decided to sleep a bit more but could not. Then I heard someone hoovering. I got up with a start and went out of the room. It was sunny. It was afternoon! The room had no window and the air conditioner was full on. Gosh! My clock was showing 2 pm. Immediately, I rushed to the reception for my check out. I had slept for straight 17 hours. No wonder, I had exhausted all my dreams and could not sleep any longer!

After recovering from initial shock, I rushed through agenda starting with Batu caves. Like many of my co travellers, I took the wrong train and reached Klang. Actually, there are two trains from the same platform. Thankfully, being physically fit, the climb of 272 steps to the Batu caves was quick. There is a small temple of God Murugan at the top. I think it is the first temple where I saw muslims entering so freely too. Suddenly, a monkey grabbed my black plastic bag which unfortunately only had my water bottle. Stupid monkey! The view at the top was very beautiful with light entering through the hole in the hill.

My next stop was the Petronas tower, liquid metal standing majestically. Inside, there were branded and luxury shops. I made it back to hostel and took night train from KL Sentral to Singapore.

Malaysia is a Muslim dominated country. Women wear headdresses which are beautiful and colourful. They are easy going. Mild Malaysia.


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb