Shock News. - It Rained Bad!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Terengganu » Perhentian Besar
October 18th 2012
Published: October 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Well.. Up I got, 7.00 am, all bright and breezy and it was raining. Opened the door of the room and was greeted by total greyness and stair rods. Worse still all the clothes that I had washed yesterday were now either soaking wet on the "dryer" outside of the room or had been dashed to the floor by the rain. So this was tropical rain forest weather. OK lots worse things happen in life so I rescued my running kit, wrung it out and after an initial shiver set out on today's run (I'm still pursuing Likey's 365 challenge). To the end of the beach, then back, to the end of the beach, then back, to the .. You got the idea. 35 minutes later, job done.

When we got to breakfast we found that today's planned snorkelling trip was cancelled because of the wet; not too sure of the logic of that. So, breakfast became quite a leisurely affair. An hour and half later the 3 slices of toast and 4 coffees were gone. Much more was possible but have you ever thought about the comfort factor involved in wearing Speedos or bikini (me the former) after eating a full cooked breakfast?

In a break in the rain we decided to follow the jungle trek that took us into the next bay. To move around on the island you either trek through the jungle or use a boat taxi. Up and down, swatting off little flying beasties that bit, in a what were conditions similar to a steam room. When we got there we discovered a bay similar to the one we were in but with far fewer tourists. We are about 3 weeks away from the onset of the monsoon (maybe it started this morning) and many tourist operations are already closing.

By about 2.00pm the rain had gone so we hit the beach. It was still a little overcast but very warm. Just off the beach is a coral reef, so in the absence of our boat trip we had a swim over that. Today we avoided the man pecking triggerfish but did see an amazing array of other tropical fish. The highlight for me was an anemone, its main body was a beautiful vivid blue colour and sprouting from the top was a mass of tendrils (doubt if that is the correct term) with several small fish swimming amongst them - their natural habitat.

The monkey made another appearance, this time accompanied by 4 other members of its family. They seem to live up in the tree at the edge of the beach decking. No monkey business today, they stayed up in the trees, although one did widdle on a group of Japenese tourists happily snapping away with their cameras directly below them.

This evening has been spent very peacefully in the bar/restaurant. In the background their very modern soundtrack, accompanied by the prayers from the mosque on the adjacent island. Plus about a minute ago we had an enormous clap of thunder and flash of lightening. Perhaps the rain is due to start again.

The photograph provides documentary evidence that the running challenge is still alive and well.

Advertisement



20th October 2012

More interesting that tiling!
Hi there, enjoyed reading your blogs - spent last two weekends doing up bathroom so the comparison is stark! Still, off to Morocco next Saturday, hurrah! Bring it on, can't wait xxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb