8% Indian population in malaysia


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Selangor » Batu Caves
January 28th 2008
Published: January 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We also visited the batu caves just north of Kuala Lupur. We were lucky because the night we got in was the last night of the thaipusam festival. This is a hindu festival where devotees give thanks for the blessings they've had thoughout the year. What was different about this was they'd perform pain inflicting tasks like carrying milk pots attached to their head with spikes or huge cages decorated with peacock feathers up 272 steps to a hindu shrine in the batu caves. We saw some people almost fainting as they go up the stairs. Apparently they go in a trance like state that prevents them from feeling pain. The custom is actually banned in India. stef and I climb the stairs to the top. It wasn't a bad climb except for the heat and the amount of people at the festival. I hadn't realised that there was such a large amount of Indians in Malaysia. Turns out that it was 8% and we probably saw all of them at the batu caves! There were so many sweet foods and vegetaian foods. We had something to eat and the food was soooooooooo spicy. I couldn't eat it!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb