Niah National Park


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak
January 28th 2010
Published: June 11th 2019
Edit Blog Post

There is a stunning place in Sarawak that I really recommend to explore, it is called the Niah Cave. There are so many beautiful spots there to visit if you are a nature lover…

Home to one of the world’s biggest cave entrances and burial sites of the Paleolithic and Neolithic eras, the Niah National park is a historical site where a 40,000-year old human’s remains were first discovered. Apart from Niah’s interesting findings, people visit the park to experience its lush jungles, peaceful environment, and everything within it. I went there mainly to explore its wonderful caves.

There are a few ways to get there. travellers who want to visit the Niah National Park would fly to the Miri International Airport first and stay at the city centre before they begin their trip. You can drive your own car, take a bus or taxi, or hire a private driver to get there. Otherwise, you can also take a package tour.

Exploring Niah National Park features two amazing caves: the Great Cave and the Painted Cave. Prior to reaching these caves, you’ll need to walk through the jungle for about 45 minutes. There will be plank walks for you to walk on. So you can enjoy a light and easy walk as you enjoy your surroundings.

In the national Park there is a small river not very far from the park’s main entrance that you’ll need to cross. To cross it, you’ll need to take the small boat for a small charge. There are crocodiles in the river, so, the only way to cross it is waiting for a boat to get you to the other side of the river. Once you’ve crossed the river, walk into the forest and enjoy everything that surrounds you! Along the way, you’ll notice several chalets on your right hand side. When I was there, they seemed to be unoccupied. Take your time when exploring the park. Enjoy the sounds of nature. And if you’re lucky, you might be able to spot flying lizards and the magnificent hornbill around you.

Along the way, you will stop by Trader’s Cave (Gua Dagang) first. The cave is famous for bird nests. Bird nest traders go there mainly to collect bird nests which are then sold at the local market. Bird nest collection has been practised for generations and it is still considered
a business today. At Trader’s Cave, you’ll find roofless huts made of ironwood. These huts were once used by bird nest collectors as shelters during the harvesting seasons. The Niah National Park is not a very touristic. I don’t remember seeing a lot of people when I visited the park. Apart from its lesser-known reputation, I went there in the afternoon which was probably why I didn’t see many people as most visitors usually start their journey early in the morning.

It is not a well maintained National Park but, if like cave and jungles, I would definitely recommend this place, which was one of my favourite spot on my travels in Sarawak Province.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 24


Advertisement
















11th June 2019

https://www.ieagle.com/
12th June 2019

Adorable
Cute guy.
13th June 2019

Adorable
Ahaha, thanks Sir..
12th June 2019

Caves in Sarawak
I used to go caving in my youth Marcos, unguided in overalls & helmets with torches, so I too have an interest in limestone caves. Do I presume correctly that for safety reasons you can only enter these caves with a guide?
13th June 2019

Caves in Sarawak
Hi Dave, nice to hear you again!!!well we have a guide but then we could actually go a bit everywhere so it was like we did not need that, but that was about ten years ago, I do not know what are the new policies about visiting the cave in Sarawak, currently. Big hug and take care bye

Tot: 0.292s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 38; qc: 154; dbt: 0.1584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb