Sibu and the Chinese Temple


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak » Sibu
May 27th 2011
Published: May 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Taking a bus to Sibu was easier than the previous two buses but only just we knew what time the bus was departing but it was 'full' when we enquired yesterday. But when we turned up and all three of us got on the bus Chris and Charlie to Kuching and myself to Sibu just three hours away.
Arriving in Sibu I found the information centre (very helpful) where I learnt that it was the end of harvest festival starting this week, a very big even in Kapit and with in the Iban community. I was given contacts that would help me organise a long boat trip hopefully over night and recommended accommodation for Kapit and told to make sure I took the 730 boat and be there an hour before.
Directly opposite the information centre there is a hotel not mentioned anywhere on the hotel listings given by the info centre but its very clean and cheap, ran by the wife during the day its a bargain of a find (just at night the husband runs the hotel and him and his friend can make you feel uncomfortable although harmless I went to my room instead of staying in the common area).
Theres not really much to do but I came across Mr. Chiang. The care taker at the Chinese temple and spoke to him for a while. For 35yrs he has been learning about the meaning of Yen and Yin, how it relates to Taoism and Buddism, the building and design of the temple, the Chinese, Korean and Japanese flags and Chinese beliefs. He is an amazing person to walk into and very interesting to talk too. After speaking with him for over an hour he gave me a key to go up the tower of the temple where there is a few museum artifacts and an amazing view over the city from the top. Very special.
And of cause the night markets are always a great place to have dinner and although much smaller than those in the cities the food it great.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0693s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb