Miri (10-12 May 13)


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak » Miri
May 13th 2013
Published: May 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The Grand Old LadyThe Grand Old LadyThe Grand Old Lady

The first oil rig erected in the city, in 1910. Retired a couple of decades ago.
And so from one oil-rich region to another.

After just three quick days in the Bruneian sultanate, it was time to move on southwest-wards in my trip along Northern Borneo. So I bade farewell to Chiong and Sab, and took the 4h bus across the border to Miri in Sarawak, perhaps the more important of the two East Malaysian states. Larger, and endowed with even more natural resources than Sabah, Sarawak's political influence is evident even from the fact that it issues its own immigration entry stamps, distinct from the rest of the country. Such is the level of autonomy it enjoys.

And situated at the northermost part of the state lies probably its next most important city after the capital of Kuching. Miri's proximity to Brunei suggests that (as already mentioned), it too has the (mis?)fortune of oil within its reach. The first oil field in the state was discovered here early in the last century, and of course the state government's been drilling and enriching its coffers ever since.And being at the border with its other rich cousin of Brunei, that Miri has benefited seems evident in its rather prosperous appearance.

Coming from Brunei, the thirsty traveller notices first, of course, that liquor is back on the menu! And for just a small to medium-sized city, Miri seems to boasts of quite a thriving nightlife, with numerous karaokes bars and other watering holes. LP thinks the demand is from the deprived oil expats from Brunei, and from the looks of it, I couldn't disagree. The rest of the city itself, while somewhat reminiscent of KK in Sabah, doesn't quite have as many attractions to call its own. Its major attraction, the Petroleum Museum on Canada Hill, (a painful forty-plus minute uphill hike) was frustratingly closed for renovations when I went! For travellers other than those sufferring from alcohol-withdrawal and coming from Brunei, Miri normally serves as just a jumping off point to either the nearby Gunung Mulu National Park or Kelabit Highlands, or as a transit for onwards travel down the rest of the state.

Stayed at City Inn.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Tua Pek Kong TempleTua Pek Kong Temple
Tua Pek Kong Temple

Some bizarre murals, yes that's a dame breastfeeding an elderly woman. My Chinese ain't the best, but what I could make out from the words was something about filial piety. It figures.


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb