Goodbye Philippines, Hello Borneo!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak » Kuching
July 1st 2013
Published: July 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Well hello!

So we've made it to Borneo, we lasted the full 5 weeks in the Philippines although there were times when we thought we might not. So so happy to be in Malaysia where the lies about the Philippines seem to ring true...great food, friendly people, great weather, lots to do.

Having said that one of our last nights in the Philippines was a lovely one. We returned to Surigao city, found a cheaper hotel from last time in a better location. A new shopping mall had opened that day much to the delight of all the townsfolk. We trundled down to try and catch ourselves a bargain but managed only a buffet dinner and a bottle of rum/sprite.

As we begun our pikey drinking watching the local band we caught the eyes of a couple of neighbours who beckoned us over by waving their similarly pikey bottle of brandy and water. We went for it and they couldn't have been happier. They were so delighted that they could look after us for the evening and chat to us and drink with us. They insisted on walking us home (but not before stopping off at a bar for a round of 7.5% beer). They were true gents, offering to stay up as long as we wanted to to continue the party even though the host had to be up at 5am to play the organ in church.

The next day, hangovers in tow we hit the airport to fly to Cebu where we whiled away the last couple of days in a massive, overpriced shopping mall. Caught another film at the cinema and ate krispy Kreme doughnuts (we love the holiday pounds!).

From Cebu a long day ensued: Cebu to Manila, Manila to Singapore, Singapore to Kuching. 13hours travelling in total. Actually only 6 hours in the sky, the rest in airports. Had a banging curry in Singapore airport!

Arrived in Kuching gone midnight, shattered. The rather over-friendly taxi driver tried to marry us in the 15mins drive to the hostel much to our amusement! Nice hostel, lovely hosts, lovely air-con. Put us in a twin room as we can't possibly have really wanted the double bed that we asked for. Long walk down a dark hallway to the toilet, Holly wakes Kate up in the night to go with her for moral support.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb