Broboscis Monkeys and Birds, Sepilok


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah
February 6th 2014
Published: February 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Proboscis MonkeyProboscis MonkeyProboscis Monkey

Labuk Bay Monkey Sanctuary
Only three of the group decided to do the 5 hour jungle trek as the guide had made it sound so tough, hot and very humid, wet, slippery mud and the need to carry at least three litres of water. When the three guys returned they of course claimed it was not so bad and they had managed it easily. As a result the rest of us were free to visit the Labuk Bay Proboscis Monkey Sanctuary about half an hour from Sandakan and close to our new accommodation at the Sepilok Jungle Resort at Sepilok. We arrived in time for feeding at 11.30 so there were loads of the Proboscis Monkeys near the viewing platform and we had a great and close up view. They all gave way when the alpha male decided he wanted their food. Once they had eaten they melted back into the forest with a few sitting or lying in nearby trees.

At the viewing platform amongst the tourists were a troupe of Silver Leaf Monkeys who seemed very tired as they slept all over the place except for a few youngsters who had great fun playing with us, climbing Malcolm's walking cane and swinging from Lesley's camera as it hung from her neck and undoing Yetti's shoe laces and bouncing on her knees and feet. Sian had a surprise when one jumped on her arm from behind bringing her filming of some others to an abrupt end.

We returned to our hotel and checked in and went to the restaurant for lunch. The restaurant is reached by a series of walkways over lakes and is open air. Whilst eating we were treated to a fishing match between two Stork Billed Kingfishers. Later after a little relax and a swim we had an early supper and saw an Oriental Pied Hornbill just off a walkway to the restaurant - they are big birds!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Silver Leaf MonkeySilver Leaf Monkey
Silver Leaf Monkey

This guy was asleep
Silver Leaf MonkeySilver Leaf Monkey
Silver Leaf Monkey

With her ginger baby that later turn grey as they get older
Stork Billed KingfisherStork Billed Kingfisher
Stork Billed Kingfisher

A few feet away from us in the restaurant at Sepilok Jungle Resort
Oriental Pied HornbillOriental Pied Hornbill
Oriental Pied Hornbill

Inside the hotel grounds


6th February 2014

Great Pictures
I bet you are having a real ball Sally, what a great adventure, Brilliant photo's .

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb