Uncle Changs and Sipadan Island


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Sipadan
November 11th 2010
Published: November 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sipadan Island is rated one of the top dive sites in the world and as we were newly certified divers we thought this was an opportunity not to be missed. It is part of a protected marine park and only 150 diving permits are issued each day. Permits are hard to get without booking months in advance so we had to search many dive shops for prices and permit availabilities but most saying they had no openings for Sipadan for weeks. We had heard that Uncle Chang’s dive company had extra permits and the dive gods smiled upon us as they organized a three day dive trip on the spot, a day later we were on away to Mabul Island to stay on Uncle Chang’s Dive Resort.

Our first day was spent chilling on Mabul, eating beautiful food and baking in the scorching sun luckily there was a snorkeling trip early afternoon so we cooled off and saw some amazing marine life. The next day we were ready to dive, it was a little daunting as it was the first time we were responsible for setting up all our own dive equipment. We had 2 dives off Mabul Island and 1 at Kapali Island we had an amazing day we saw giant turtles, underwater wrecks and the most colorful coral and fish I had ever seen. Early night as we were up early for our long awaited Sipadan dives.

Woke up early got all our equipment sorted and headed out to Sipadan island. Our first dive site was at Mid Reef which had the biggest drop off you could imagine, it literally was a reef the dropped off like a cliff it seemed to go down forever and it was completely alive with so much marine life. We encountered sharks (not too big but still daunting to be so close to) at the second dive site turtle cove we encountered more giant turtles and beautiful fish that we could not identify (we really need to brush up on our underwater marine life education). After an hour or so relaxing on gorgeous Sipadan Island we headed out for our final dive and the best was definitely last we went to Barracuda Point, we followed our dive master not thinking too much of this last dive site until we swam up over the reef and saw the most wonderful, colorful, stunning marine life yet, we were literally 5 meters below the surface.

Before long our day was over and we returned to the dive resort to grab our things and move to mainland. It was time to leave Borneo and Malaysia and head to our next destination. Thailand here we come!


Lots of love Riki and Liam
oxoxox



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

P1010891P1010891
P1010891

they had the cutest cat with 2 kittens on the dive resort
P1010925P1010925
P1010925

dive resort
P1020050P1020050
P1020050

beautiful sipadan island


Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.086s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb