Sepilok - Saying Goodbye is never easy


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Sepilok Orang Utan Sanctuary
August 19th 2007
Published: August 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Team Nanas  Group Photo (We're Krumping! is you are wondering)Team Nanas  Group Photo (We're Krumping! is you are wondering)Team Nanas Group Photo (We're Krumping! is you are wondering)

This was our Group Photo to leave for the staff of Sepilok. We became known as Team Nanas (Pineapple)!!! after a language mix up and instead of saying Hot Kat kept saying Pineapple! Here we are having one final Krump together...a dance craze (or crazy) from the States
Well the time has come and the 2 month placement came to an end in style with a party on the lawn at Sepilok Resthouse.

Jungle Juice flowed freely a concoction made by Jo and Georgina in a bucket from alcohol bought at the local supermaket - mainly with Malay labels and not a clue to the contect - but that was no reason to stopping it going into the bucket with a mixer over left over Ribena some energy giving 100 Plus and anything else remotely drinkable . The result was actually a rather awesome punch that went down pretty well but not so with our heads the next morning!

We had a live band and with various singers from members of the Sepilok Staff or their families who all attended the evening (maybe just to make sure we really were leaving!). Singing seems to be a big thing over here and everyone does it (whether they can sing or not!) so it was expected that the volunteers would return the favour. With little time to prepare we put something together or more Isla did (a Music Student and our saviour). Isla gave a fine performance as lead singer whilst the rest of other formed a rather tuneless out of sync chorus but it got a round of applause from our audience. Sadly in the wrong place and before it had ended - maybe they hoped it was over!.

As the jungle juice and tiger beers flowed, lovely food was consumed all in large quantaties. The latter sometimes not necessarily out choice, when Jomius took to feeding all of us forkful of cake so it was only appropiate to return the favour (as you can see from the photo!).

Luckily before too much of everything was consumed we had the presentations of our Certificates and a gift of a framed picture of our Orangutans.

As the evening drew to an end it was time for some tearful goodbyes though for most of us we simply said Jumpa Lagi (Malay - Until next time/See you again) because we all know that we will return to check on those big hairy guys that have stolen our hearts.

I leave with Sepilok with many wonderful memories and experiences and a little less hair from having it pulled so often. And even more determined to ensure that we never see Orangutans listed alongside Dodo's as a creature that future generations would only ever see as a picture in a book......

Goodbye and Thank you Sepilok for a wonderful time and now onwards to new destinations.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Consuming Jungle Juice Consuming Jungle Juice
Consuming Jungle Juice

Only the best serving crockery as you can see!!!
Jomius and MeJomius and Me
Jomius and Me

All is forgiven
Ammoy and MeAmmoy and Me
Ammoy and Me

Had to thank Ammoy for the feast and the meals for the last 2 months. Going to miss all the delicious food. And so many laughs too.
The BandThe Band
The Band

Entertainment came in the form of a band by the staff and singers from the staff and their family
Krumping!!!Krumping!!!
Krumping!!!

Oh how could I miss mentioning Krumping!!! (some American Dance thing!)
One final photo call One final photo call
One final photo call

With my group (and new friends)


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb