3 days of Scuba School


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Semporna
February 19th 2009
Published: March 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 19th February 09:
1st day of Scuba School. Caught an early bus to Semporna where we were to embark on our PADI course. Spent the afternoon in the classroom watching DVDs and taking 1-4 module tests. Went to the Semporna Scuba Cafe for dinner where we had an enormous platter of freshly caught and cooked sea food - marlin steak, calamari, prawns, stuffed crab, rice, garlic bread, potato wedges and salad - all for £4!! Bloody bargain!!

Friday 20th February 09:
Day 2 of Scuba School: Mabul Island
Today we went to the Island of Mabul to the crystal clear waters to do our skills training. Spent the morning in the shallow water doing our skills then had lunch on the pier where we watched acouple of highly venomous black and white striped sea snakes poking their heads up out of the water for air. In the afternoon we did some more skills then went for a short dive around the artificial reef. We saw lots of reef fish including a moray eel, a snake eel - with black and white bands like the sea snake - and a green frog fish - very rare apparently!

Saturday 21st
Sea SnakeSea SnakeSea Snake

Popping his head up for air from under
February 09:
Day 3 of Scuba School/my birthday: Sibuan Island
Today we went to Sibuan Island, a typical small 'paradise' Island, complete with community of people who have lived their for generations who are a nation-less people because they have been on the island so long, no longer belonging to the Phillipines and not part of Malaysia. We completed the last of our skills then went for a few dives.
The last of our dives was at 'Mandarin City' were we saw the illusive Mandarin fish which hides in amongst the sea urchins and has the most colours on a fish out of all the fishes (I think...) although I was scared I was gonna get stabbed by the sea urchins so from where I was floating, they just looked kinda black... The rest of the dive we went over the most beautiful coral reef I have ever seen. It truly was like something out of Finding Nemo! Every inch of the bottom of the sea was covered in colourful coral and swarming with all shapes, sizes and colour of fish. We saw coral eating starfish and a stingray, hiding under the coral, and we even saw a turtle! It was by far the best dive I've ever done (but we had Sipidan to come!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

SibuanSibuan
Sibuan

Paradise Island
Misty MountainsMisty Mountains
Misty Mountains

The weather was rather grey
Coconut collectingCoconut collecting
Coconut collecting

Little boys shimmy up the trees to collect the coconuts


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb