Tanjung Aru island


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Sandakan
February 11th 2013
Published: February 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Just arrived in Kota Kinabalu, which on the surface looks far more developed than Sandakan.

Had a really good trip yesterday evening. Faezal, the concierge supervisor doubles up as a freelance tour guide. For a fraction of the organised trips price we ventured over to Tanjung Aru island with our very own boatman. Down the river, laced with mangroves on either side we saw proboscis monkeys, monitor lizards and several varieties of kingfisher. Following this the very heavy rain set in and we stopped at the boatman's house, built himself from mangrove trees. He shares the very big house on the river with four generations of family and his wife had prepared high tea, which consisted of sweet black tea and salted shrimp balls. Their hospitality was amazing.The lightening struck and the rain poured down. Intermittently stopping to reveal thousands of fireflies in the trees. I had seen them before on the river cruise, with fireflies almost merging with the stars. This time was even more remarkable as we we able to catch the wonderful glowing little creatures before releasing them again to freedom.

When we finally headed back to Sandakan, we were met with a tremendous spectacle of fireworks, celebrating Chinese New Year. This was light relief from the thunder and lightening that had been upon us for several hours, making seas quite precarious.

I am now looking forward to exploring another place and enjoying the culinary treats that lay ahead In KK.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

River pussRiver puss
River puss

Lives with the rest of the family. Reminds me of my Fudgie back home
Faezal, the concierge guyFaezal, the concierge guy
Faezal, the concierge guy

Playing and singing Ronan Keating on the river


19th July 2016

Tanjung Aru island
Thank you for visiting my village..

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb