Turtletastic


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Sandakan
February 9th 2013
Published: February 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Just back from Selingan turtle island. A truly wonderful experience. Seeing really is believing.

After setting out early morning yesterday we arrived at Selingan island, the second largest of a cluster of three turtle islands, only 8 hectares in total, protected for the sole purpose of conservation and preservation of turtles in the area. The accommodation and food were pretty basic, but lets face it we weren't expecting 5 star accommodation. In fact, the only thing we were all interested in was seeing a turtle or two. Anything else was a bonus. The place is littered with monitor lizards hoping for a light snack of turtle, but the turtles/eggs are well protected in the hatchery until time of release (Approx 60 days) until they reach the surface.

In amongst a Saga group of holiday makers and overcoming my fear of suffocation, I tried out some snorkelling in the clear seas - coral and beautifully coloured fish lay beneath. As nice as it was for a temporary burst I'm not sure I will become an ardent "snorkeller", but always good to try new things.

As " turtle time" was shouted by the ranger in the distant darkness, the crowd
Oohhh!Oohhh!Oohhh!

Monitor lizard
of 20 visitors ambled enthusiastically towards the beach to witness the female green turtle laying her eggs. It was quite an emotional scene. This particular turtle laid a staggering 126 eggs, following which the ranger measured the carapace and cleaned away any barnacles, which would otherwise erode the shell and place the turtle in danger as she returns to the water. The turtle takes approximately 1-2 hours to complete the egg laying process, so we were only called once egg laying was fully established.

After this, all 126 eggs were placed in a 30 ft hatchery and surrounded by meshing to protect from other species.

Then there was the releasing of the hatchlings (49) into a whole new world of survival. Only 1% of those released will survive. The hatchlings were itching to get out of the basket and we helped send them in the right direction - out to sea. I cannot begin to put into words what it felt like to watch these little creatures scurry across the beach to their new lives ahead.

Absolutely incredible.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Eggs laidEggs laid
Eggs laid

126 in total from this female
Hatchlings releasedHatchlings released
Hatchlings released

An emotional experience


9th February 2013

Looks fantastic Lis! I am well jealous x

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb