Orangutans


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Sandakan
January 15th 2011
Published: January 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well I finally got a good night sleep last night. We all went to bed around 8 and never woke up untill around 9 or 10 this morning. We lazed about in the morning then jumped on the 1pm bus to the Sepilok Orangutan Sanctuary to go see the monkeys. When we got there they showed us a brief video of their efforts in rehabilitating the monkeys to the wild. Then we headed out to the feeding platform to see them.

When we got there there were no monkeys but slowely the macaques started to arrive. There were alot of them and they were jumping around and playing all over the platforms. At 3 OClock the feeding guy came with some buckets of food and chased away the macaques. WE waited for a bit and eventually we saw one of the big tree ropes starting to shake. Slowely a young orangutan was making his way along the rope. He was hanging from it going hand over hand and at one point did a cartwheel under it. After he arrived his buddy came and then two more orangutans came as well. They seemed to stay with the buddy system with one young and one older orangutan. It was funny watching them eat. The first guy grabbed a stack of bananas in each hand and each foot and had one in his mouth. 5 stacks of bananas. The whole time the little macaques were trying to sneak in and get a banana and occasionally one was sneaky enough to do it.

A really funny part was a baby macaque grabbed a banana and went running along the top of a rope but he couldnt keep balance. He kept tipping over. When the food ran out the orangutans slowely moved back a little bit to the trees. One of the orangutans was hanging over the rope that the macaques were useing and as one macaque tried to go by on the rope the orangutan reached down and shook the rope. He looked like he was curious as to what would happen lol.

There was one big macaque that was obviously the alpha male and at one point two of the younger males got in a fight. The big male came charging over and growled like crazy as the younger macaque went running. He looked like he meant business.

After about an hour was headed back along the walkway to catch the bus home. Along the way we saw a pretty cool pit viper. It was hiding in the bushes by the path so you could only see its body not the head. One lady reached over and started shaking the bush to get it to move and one guy informed her that it was highly venemous so stop it or risk getting bit.

At night we headed over to see a movie at the theatres but it was terrible. The movie was good but the theater sucked. The screen kept messing up so we couldnt see it. After that we retired for bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb