Have Mountian Will Climb! - Mt Kinabulu


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Mount Kinabalu
September 7th 2007
Published: September 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well I'm on Borneo. Main land Malaysia was a little to rainy so I decided to see what Borneo has to offer. Flew to Kota Kinabalu in the region of Sabah. the big thing to do here is hang out on the beautiful beaches or take a 2 day trek to the top of Mt. Kinabalu.
Mt Kinabalu at 4095m is the tallest mountain between the Himalayas and New Guinea. It's a 2 day climb. Day 1 you go 6km from altitude of about 1000m to 3000m. At this point there are huts waiting for you. to spend the night. Actually half night You get up at 2AM to climb the remaining 2.7km or 1000m alt. in the dark.This is so you can be at the summit at sunrise. If you ever thought you were in OK shape this mountain will teach you other wise. In between 2500m- 3000m altitude sickness may start to effect you, the temperature gets colder and colder, air gets thinner. Less then half of the people that start the climb actual reach the summit.
Going up is a real test of character. Slow and steady is the key. Coming down is when it really starts to heart. your knees are jello, your thighs are burning. for days after wards it was painful walking up or down steps.

The View was well worth the climb.

Cheers

Tim


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Guinness at 3000 meters Guinness at 3000 meters
Guinness at 3000 meters

Our overnight stop at 3000m.


Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 27; qc: 124; dbt: 0.1481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb